Orsanmichele Church

Melany

I really want to see Donatello's Saint Mark sculpture at Orsanmichele. I know the ones outside are replicas, and the original is inside the church in the museum.
I read in a guide book that the museum is only open on Monday, but I can't find the hours. Is it 10-5, just like the church on Mondays? How do I get to the museum?

I can just imagine a teenage Michelangelo standing outside the church and marveling at this work.

Also, I understand that in some places photography is allowed, and some (like museums) it is not. Is this plainly posted? I'm a photographer and I want to photograph EVERYTHING :cool: , but I don't want to get in trouble.

Thanks!

Ciao Melany,

Yes, the museum of Orsanmichele is open only on Mondays, the same hours as the church, 10am to 5pm. The entrance into the museum is right across from the entrance into the church on Via dell'Arte della Lana - the museum is on the second and third floor of the church, but the stairs are in the building across the way, with a walkway/corridor over the street back into the church.

As far as photography goes, yes, all of the sites will clearly mark when it is generally NOT allowed.

If it is allowed, it is often without the use of the flash.... most museums don't allow photography at all, unless you specifically request permission ahead of time (at a cost - for example, the Polo Museale says you have to ask authorization at least 3 weeks ahead of time).

Orsanmichele, I remember, doesn't allow photography but I just saw you can ask permission at the link above since it is now managed by the Polo Museale.