Sammezzano castle

Andra

Hi,

My name is Andra and I am going to Florence for a few days in August (19-21 aug).

I have heard (and seen some pictures) about the beautiful castle of Sammezzano and I would really like to visit it - it is 40 km away from Florence .

I can find little information on the Internet about it, therefore I am coming to you with this question: is the castle open for the public? Do you know any other details (opening hours, ticket price etc). Is there someone who I could contact to arrange a visit?

Thank you so much and looking forward to your answers,
Andra

The castle is privately owned by an Italian-French company and has been closed for over 20 years as they await approval for an ambitious restructuring project for the castle.

It is NOT open to the public, but I found the website for a local association that works with the property to organize occasional visits. Since this year marked the 200th anniversary of the birth of the marquis that built the villa, there have been several occasions this year when the villa was open as you can see here: http://www.sammezzano.org/iniziative.html
I see they also have a Facebook page - I'd suggest contacting them by email and through their FB page to see what they might be able to do in terms of a visit..... just know ahead of time that in August, lots of people go on vacation and lots of things close down. So don't expect too much in terms of organizing a visit so late and in August - they might not even checking email or the page at all right now. But I'm curious to know if you do get any sort of reply, so do share if that happens!!

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, I already contacted them at info@sammezzano.org and I got a quite quick reply that "Organizing a visit is always very complicated; sorry but at the moment no visit is planned - we hope in october a new one."

So, it seems I was not lucky with this :-( For those who wish to visit the place, stay tuned for October!

Andra

The castle is privately owned by an Italian-French company and has been closed for over 20 years as they await approval for an ambitious restructuring project for the castle.

It is NOT open to the public, but I found the website for a local association that works with the property to organize occasional visits. Since this year marked the 200th anniversary of the birth of the marquis that built the villa, there have been several occasions this year when the villa was open as you can see here: http://www.sammezzano.org/iniziative.html
I see they also have a Facebook page - I'd suggest contacting them by email and through their FB page to see what they might be able to do in terms of a visit..... just know ahead of time that in August, lots of people go on vacation and lots of things close down. So don't expect too much in terms of organizing a visit so late and in August - they might not even checking email or the page at all right now. But I'm curious to know if you do get any sort of reply, so do share if that happens!!