Question about Statue of Appennino

david8546

I've read that the statue has gone under restoration since mid 2012 from various sources already but I don't get how it's "closed".

Does the closed mean that inside the statue can't be entered or closed as in they've closed the walkway that passes in front of the statue? Is it possible to even catch a glimpse of it from far away?

Ciao David, welcome on DT Forum!
Thanks for your question, it gives us the chance to double check again the state of the art of the long restoration of the APPENNINO sculpture inside the Villa Demidoff park in Pratolino. I am going to call directly the park/villa tomorrow and will get back to you asap to let you if the Statue can be visible to visitors or if it still has scaffoldings around it.

Keep in touch,
a presto
Elena

Last edited:
If you look at the photos of Giambologna's Colossus of the Apeninnes on the article here and in the photo gallery here you will see there is a large lake in front of the statue. From the pics, you can see we actually walked right behind the statue and went right next to it... but that isn't possible at the moment because it is all under scaffolding. But you can still visit the park, view the lake and walk all around but the statue itself will be hard to see.

The latest news is that renovations should be finished on the statue by the end of this June and scaffolding taken off. We hope that happens, because they're taking too long and it is the main attraction for many who visit the park.

Ciao Lourdes ciao David,
yes, the local staff at Villa Demidoff says that Appennino is hidden behind a green net that protects the scaffoldings. Restoration has been interrupted during the winter time but works should start shortly to be able to complete the restoration in June 2014.

Visitors can get to the pond and walk around the area, but the statue is not visible yet.
Have a nice spring day! A presto

Last edited:
Thank you for looking into this =)
Sadly I'll be only in Florence early June....I guess I'll have to come back next time!