Sunday Mass at Cathedral

annie

I will be in Florence on a Sunday in May and would like to attend the 9:30 am Latin Mass with Gregorian chant. Can I just come to church and go in, or is there a line or any other special entrance requirement since the church is only open to churchgoers on Sunday morning? Do they require head covering for Mass?
Thanks,
Annie

Dear Annie,
welcome on the DT forum. Any citizen/visitor is allowed into the cathedral/churches of Florence for mass on Sunday mornings. Yes, the dress code should be appropriate: covered arms and legs. Head covering is not mandatory.
Happy Sunday!
Ele

Ps
If you wish to assist to Gregorian chants you may go to San Miniato al Monte church at 6:30pm. The monks pray every day, all year round, at 6:30 pm with Gregorian chants sang in the crypt. The prayer is open to the public, of course, with respectful dress code of the place. You will find a very special atmosphere, no matter what your beliefs are...it's a special spiritual site for all of us!

Re Sunday Mass at Cathedral

Dear Annie,
welcome on the DT forum. Any citizen/visitor is allowed into the cathedral/churches of Florence for mass on Sunday mornings. Yes, the dress code should be appropriate: covered arms and legs. Head covering is not mandatory.
Happy Sunday!
Ele

Ps
If you wish to assist to Gregorian chaints you may go to San Miniato al Monte church at 6:30pm. The monks pray every day, all year round, at 6:30 pm with Gtregorian chaints sang in the crypt. The prayer is open to the public, of course, with respectful dress code of the place. You will find a very special atmosphere, no matter what your believs are...it's a special spiritual site for all of us!

Thank you so much for the info. I will find San Miniato on Google Maps. Sounds wonderful.
Thanks again,
Annie

Just wanted to add that there is a different entrance for anyone wishing to attend mass. If you find the main doors to the cathedral closed because of the hour (since it opens at 10), go to the side (on right side) and you'll find the entrance through there. No need for head covering, and respectful dress just means no shorts or tanks tops (which are very common in the summer months).