Yet another 1 day in Florence question

Teddi

Hi-
Will be there 5th Sunday in August. After much research into open hours, my tentative plan is:
Baptistry 830-10:00
Bargello 10:00 – 12:00
Lunch
Santa Croce 1:00-2:00
Duomo 2:00-4:45
Appertivo/rest
Piazza della Signoria, Palazzo Vecchio 6-8:30
Dinner
Ponte Vecchio stroll

Can you suggest a place for lunch near Bargello/Santa Croce?
A pleasant place to rest and have a glass of wine and plate of cheese between the Duomo and Piazza della Signoria?
A scenic location overlooking the river near Ponte Vecchio for dinner where my walking around clothes are not offensive?

Thanks

Ciao Teddi,

One well packed day in Florence. Just accept to remain flexible with your schedule in case you feel like spending more time or less in the ones you've listed, you never know whether you'll love one over another and wish to spend more time there.

As far as place to eat at lunch near Bargello - I'd suggest Trattoria Gusto Leo right to the side of the Bargello on the corner of Via del Proconsolo and Via Ghibellina. It has a good offering of Italian and Tuscan dishes but mostly service is quick, friendly and portions are good. Seeing as you're only taking an hour break, that should give you a chance to either go for the cheese and wine or a little more such as pasta or risotto ;)

As for dinner, if you want to stick to something with a view over Ponte Vecchio, it will definitely be "touristy" and your clothes won't matter, as they are used to all visitors being ready to relax and enjoy a good meal at the end of the day, no matter how they're dressed.
Some recommendations:
Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco, Trattoria Cammillo or Trattoria Mamma Gina - all are on Borgo San Jacopo near Ponte Vecchio.
Osteria Antica Mescita San Niccolo' on Via San Niccolo - a little further from Ponte Vecchio but we had great Tuscan meals there.

There are lots and lots of restaurants in Florence, most of them serving pretty good food. Stick with those in "trattoria" or "osteria" in the name, they tend to be more rustic, informal places.

Thank you, Lourdes

You are absolutely correct: my schedule was too aggressive and I have paired it down. It helped that the Bargello and the Laurentian library seem to be closed on the 5th Sunday of the month.
I actually changed hotels to be closer in so we can do some wandering both later and earlier than open/close times.
Here is the new schedule:
Baptistry 10:30-12
coffee/breakfast
Duomo 1-3:00
Rest/glass of wine & cheese
Santa Croce 3:30-5:00
Piazza della Signoria
Appertivo/rest (more wine and cheese? oh, maybe find a piece of fruit...)
Palazzo Vecchio 6:00-8:30 sunset at top of tower?
Dinner ?? Piazza della Signoria or near Ponte Vecchio overlooking river (I think your suggestions look good)
Ponte Vecchio stroll after dinner
Taxi home

Better?
(I should note that we have been to Florence twice before, both for a day so have been through the Uffizi and Accademia. Next time I promise we will make it across the river.)
Again, thanks for your suggestions.
Teddi

Better but how about this?

Nice breakfast at your hotel, then set off for Piazza del Duomo.
Visit the Baptistery, then the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (the 10€ pass buys you access to all the monuments). Climb up to the top of the Duomo.

Then break for lunch - head to Santa Croce, there are ample places along the way to stop. The Gusto Leo suggestion still stands.

After lunch, visit Santa Croce, then head back to Piazza della Signoria. Walk around between there and Ponte Vecchio. Head back to Palazzo Vecchio to visit the museum and climb to the top of the tower, sunset from up there might be pretty spectacular - admit hadn't though of this and haven't seen any pics from up there at sunset yet.

Dinner nearby - the restaurants I mentioned above are on the other side of the river ;-)
Stroll after dinner to Palazzo Pitti, to Piazza Santo Spirito. Florence after dark with monuments all lit up are quite spectacular so you might then head back to Piazza della Signoria and Piazza del Duomo to see things under the night lighting ;-).