Train info from Venice to Florence

LinK

Hello! We are traveling to Italy for the first time for our honeymoon and trying to figure out the best way to get from Venice to Florence (we are actually going to Montepulciano and read that the best way is to train into Florence and rent a car). I was wondering what the best train station would be and if you would recommend Trenetalia, Italo Treno, or Italirail. Do you recommend buying tickets in advance? Also, which station would you recommend and do you have any advice on the best/closest way to get a rental car near that area? Thank you so much!!

Trains

Hello -

if you are in Venice then you will be looking at Venice Santa Lucia - or Venice SL. If you want to take it to Florence then you will be going into Firenze SMN (Santa Maria Novella) - there are a few other train stations in Florence for example Campo di Marte or Rifreddi - and Florence is small enough that neither are far away from the city center but SMN is in the city center.

Trenitalia is the classical (been around forever) train line and Italo is a relatively new train line however I have never used them, but at the same time I have not heard any negative comments about their service. You should book early because you will find cheaper rates the earlier you book.

If you are training into Florence, I would suggest staying a day as well that way when you move on to Montepulciano you don't have to flip flop back and forth...you could also consider staying even two nights - and do a day in Florence and a train trip to Pisa/Lucca before going off in your car to explore Montepulciano (Pienza, Bagno a Ripoli, Cortona, Arezzo and more)

Buon Viaggio.