Boboli Gardens closed alert

Worminger

23 Sept 2014 Bobboli Gardens closed due to weather damage. I didn't see this on any web site in the run up to the visit, so I can't say how long the closure is for. Hope this sVes some people from a wasted trip. pitti Palace is open though...

Worminger

We did a post on our blog about the damage that had been accessed on Saturday here:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/blog/florence/museum-closures-after-heavy-rain-2850/

Pitti closed the main entrance for half a day, but a side entrance was open. Then once windows on the front were fixed, entrance was back through the front... and is all open except for some areas of the Costume Gallery where clothes and other items got wet.

The reports are the storm was really a tornado in some parts of Florence, in addition to the hail. It really was an extraordinary event, nothing quite like it ever before. The post has some more news on things that remain closed, if we hear more places are closed we'll keep updating it to reflect the info we get.

News on Boboli is that it will remain closed until this Friday, Sept. 26... if it reopens earlier, we'll post that. Sorry you didn't see our post earlier, but there really isn't much to be done when the weather intervenes in this way and better to keep visitors out while all the trees are checked to make sure there are no dangling branches. Hope you're in town longer and get to go back, maybe on Saturday!

Thanks, I did actually do a web search to check it was open. I didn't see your post. There is no info on the closure on "official" websites that I can see, and there is a continuous stream of disappointed tourists turning up at the garden gate and having to turn away, so. I, and no doubt many, many others, could wish that the closure had been better publicised. Thanks for your efforts in this regard Lourdes. As luck would have it I head back Friday, so I will miss it. I hope there's a next time!

We did a post on our blog about the damage that had been accessed on Saturday here:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/blog/florence/museum-closures-after-heavy-rain-2850/

Pitti closed the main entrance for half a day, but a side entrance was open. Then once windows on the front were fixed, entrance was back through the front... and is all open except for some areas of the Costume Gallery where clothes and other items got wet.

The reports are the storm was really a tornado in some parts of Florence, in addition to the hail. It really was an extraordinary event, nothing quite like it ever before. The post has some more news on things that remain closed, if we hear more places are closed we'll keep updating it to reflect the info we get.

News on Boboli is that it will remain closed until this Friday, Sept. 26... if it reopens earlier, we'll post that. Sorry you didn't see our post earlier, but there really isn't much to be done when the weather intervenes in this way and better to keep visitors out while all the trees are checked to make sure there are no dangling branches. Hope you're in town longer and get to go back, maybe on Saturday!

I know how about disappointing it can be as you arrive at a place and find it closed - unfortunately, this time the weather was to blame and even if the Boboli garden reopened last week, there are still many areas that have still closed off as trees are being trimmed and everything cleaned up.
I know sometimes the official channels are really bad, often publishing info only in Italian... so if we see the info somewhere, we try to relay it and make it more widespread.

Hope you do make it back and see it next time! It will likely be even prettier and cleaner ;-)

So for everyone else: everything is now open (except for the Botanical Gardens), although parts of Boboli are being reopened as they are cleaned and safe for visitors.