Parking for Florence

We are staying near San Gimignano and plan to visit Florence for the day. I gather from Lourdes's article that it is best to avoid the ZTL. So what free parking lot on the outskirts of the old city would be most convenient coming from our direction. And which bus number would we take from there?
Also we need to return a rental car to Venice on Friday. Do we need to notify the authorities to avoid a ZTL fine, or are we exempt with a rental car. Rental place is near train station. what would be best roads to take from San Gimignano to access train station with least aggravation.
Many thanks for your help with all this!

Ciao Anne,

Yes, I highly recommend you park away from the center to avoid any risk of entering the ZTL area. You don't have to park way out in the outskirts - you can park closer, but parking will be paid. Free parking has decreased over the years, so just expect in general to pay for the hours you need... having said that, Piazzale Michelangelo offers free parking and is really close to the city. It is also quite crowded, so you might not find a spot right away. You can find specific suggestions as to where to park and then what to take downtown here:
http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-maps/parking-lots-in-florence.html

As for the car return, do you mean you return the car in Florence to then continue on to Venice?
Car rentals are not exempt from fines, but it is the rental agency themselves who have to notify the police that you entered the ZTL area at a certain time to drop off the rental. What company did you rent from? That way I can check the precise address and see what the best way to get there is... normally, if in the Borgo Ognissanti area, then the best is through Porta al Prato (and Via al Prato).

Parking in Florence

One of my favorite places to park is near Piazza Beccaria, there is an underground parking lot on viale Giovanni Amendola (almost directly in front of the B&B Hotel). There is almost always space without a wait. The reason that I like this one so much is that I like to walk into town following Borgo la Croce which has just opened up many little cafes, local shops and restaurants . . . it gives Florence a cozy feel (and it is close to Mercato S. Ambrogio which is always a fun walk around especially inside with all the food stands.)

I agree Donna, that's a great parking lot (it is called "Beccaria") as the street that naturally heads all the way to the Duomo has lots of cafes, gelato places and shops ;-).

More info on Beccaria please :)

I was looking at this parking lot. Can you park here with in and out privileges for 5-6 days?
Also, is this lot accessible outside the ZTL?

Thanks so much!

I agree Donna, that's a great parking lot (it is called "Beccaria") as the street that naturally heads all the way to the Duomo has lots of cafes, gelato places and shops ;-).

Yes, the parking lot is outside of the ZTL area - but none of these run by Firenze Parcheggi offer passes for less than a month and those are the only ones that offer "in and out" privileges. They all work by the hour - and some have "daily" fees while others don't.

This one in particular only has monthly passes. The monthly 24 hour pass is 180 euro, while they also have a prepaid card with 120 euro credit that you pay only 100 euro for (this is also valid for a month). They used to have a daily fee but I just saw that is no longer so for this lot.

If you're staying in the area, a bit down Via Gioberti there is another lot called Piazza Alberti. They have weekly passes for 70 euro, and daily fees of 11 euro. So another one to consider... although it is a bit further away from the center bus bus #14 stops nearby and takes you into the historical center.

If you're planning to have a car while in Florence and use it while you're here to go around Tuscany on day trips, I do believe it would be better to just pay the hourly fee for when you do park, rather than even consider the monthly pass if you're going to be gone for half the day. It really depends on what your itinerary will be and where you'll be staying.

Thank-you so much for the info! Actually Alberti was the first one I looked at, and then I saw the Beccaria was closer.

So..if I use the Alberti lot, I could get a weekly rate of 70 euro, with in and out privileges? I will likely need to park the car for 2-3 days, with no use, and then use it for a couple of day trips.

Will there be taxi cabs available from the parking garage to the ZTL?

Thank-you so much for the info.!!

Yes, the Alberti parking lot pass allows in and out privileges, as it is a 24h pass. You can see more details here - and there is a link at the bottom for requesting the pass - http://www.firenzeparcheggi.it/index.php?id=72

There is a taxi stand right outside the parking lot, across from the Burger King right next to the newsagent at the crossroads of the Piazza Alberti with Via Piagentina.

Thank-you! Sorry, two more questions...do you need to fill out the monthly pass request, to get the weekly subscription rate? I will only need to park there for 6 days. Finally, can you reserve a spot with the weekly subscription rate, or is it first come first serve?

I really appreciate all your help. It's nice to have someone reply to all my questions! :)

Yes, the Alberti parking lot pass allows in and out privileges, as it is a 24h pass. You can see more details here - and there is a link at the bottom for requesting the pass - http://www.firenzeparcheggi.it/index.php?id=72

There is a taxi stand right outside the parking lot, across from the Burger King right next to the newsagent at the crossroads of the Piazza Alberti with Via Piagentina.

Ciao again,

I just called Firenze Parcheggi to ask about the procedure for the weekly pass.

I was told that you go into the parking lot with your car so that you get the ticket at the entrance.... then wait at least 10-15 min from the time stamp on the ticket to go to the automatic payment machine near the exit. You will be able to select the weekly pass from the options there.
No need to fill out a form nor go to the main office in Pza Liberta' to pick up the pass.

If for some reason you have problems while trying to buy the pass, there is a way to call their customer service directly from the machine (or near it, something like an SOS phone) and they'll walk you through the procedure.

Sounds easy right? Let's hope it turns out to be so!! :D

I can't thank you enough for your assistance, Lourdes. I really appreciate you making that call. I had emailed them last week, but hadn't heard back. It's difficult for me to call them when I work during the day and then taking into account the time change.

This makes me feel a lot better about arriving next week!

Much appreciated!!

Ciao again,

I just called Firenze Parcheggi to ask about the procedure for the weekly pass.

I was told that you go into the parking lot with your car so that you get the ticket at the entrance.... then wait at least 10-15 min from the time stamp on the ticket to go to the automatic payment machine near the exit. You will be able to select the weekly pass from the options there.
No need to fill out a form nor go to the main office in Pza Liberta' to pick up the pass.

If for some reason you have problems while trying to buy the pass, there is a way to call their customer service directly from the machine (or near it, something like an SOS phone) and they'll walk you through the procedure.

Sounds easy right? Let's hope it turns out to be so!! :D