5 Hours in Florence - Family Traveling from Canada - Help Request

joekr

Dear Friends,
Respectfully, let me start by asking you to not laugh when I say we have only 5 hours - qwe woudl have loved to have a week, but we are constrained. We are stopping at the Florence Train Station on our way from Rome to Venice. We have 2 children aged 7 and 13 and they love arts. So we want to specvifically expereince 2 things in your beautiful, historic city of art and culture.

Our train arrives at 10 a.m. We leave our bags at the station. I have booked skip line tickets to see King David at the Academia at 11.30 a.m. We are not seeing anyuthing else there as we dont have time. Assuming we get out from teh Acvademia at 12 noon, I am looking for a reliable, safe way to get us from teh Academia to Piazale Michaelangelo, wher we woudl like to spend 45 minutes, before heading back to teh train station. Our train to Venice is at 2.15 p.m. I did some research onlien on buses and considered the route 12 and 13, but given our tight timing, that may not work. Is there a taxi I can reliably arrange to pick us up from the Academia, take us to Piazzale Michanegelo, wait for us for 45 minutes there and then drop us at the station? We will pick up or bags at the station and catch teh train to venice at 2.15. If so how much will it cost approximately and can yiu please share contact information of any service provider so that I can make arrangements. We are on a tight budget and a reasonably priced option is prefered.

Thx again for your kind understanding and help, in advance
Gratzie
Joseph and Co, Canada

I promise

Buongiorno,

I promise - I am not laughing, actually I am in awe at your inspired mini itinerary.

My suggestion is to take a taxi - a white cab that you can have pick you up and take you to the Piazza Michelangelo. You could even consider getting dropped off there and then walking back to the station. Piazza Michelangelo is really very panoramic - but once you have taken a few pictures . . . and admired the scenery..... you can move on. I bet the kids might enjoy "moving" around a bit - you should easily walk it (down hill and then all flat land) in an hour (Google maps says 36 min. so if you add kids and a gelato stop on the way....)

If you have a phone you can call a taxi when you get out of the Accademia (+39 055 42 42) and go straight up to the Piazzale. They are usually pretty quick - or you can go to the taxi stand behind the Duomo. Exit the Accademia and walk about 700 meters to your left (you turn left when you have the museum to your back).

Buon Viaggio.

Buongiorno,

I promise - I am not laughing, actually I am in awe at your inspired mini itinerary.

My suggestion is to take a taxi - a white cab that you can have pick you up and take you to the Piazza Michelangelo. You could even consider getting dropped off there and then walking back to the station. Piazza Michelangelo is really very panoramic - but once you have taken a few pictures . . . and admired the scenery..... you can move on. I bet the kids might enjoy "moving" around a bit - you should easily walk it (down hill and then all flat land) in an hour (Google maps says 36 min. so if you add kids and a gelato stop on the way....)

If you have a phone you can call a taxi when you get out of the Accademia (+39 055 42 42) and go straight up to the Piazzale. They are usually pretty quick - or you can go to the taxi stand behind the Duomo. Exit the Accademia and walk about 700 meters to your left (you turn left when you have the museum to your back).

Buon Viaggio.

Dear Donna,
Thank You so much for yoyr very valuable guidance. Thsi is very helpful. Just one more follow-up question - I am niot carrying a phone with me. Is there a place near Academia where I can make a call to get a taxi?

Thx again and also for your inspiring words and encouragement on our mini itinerary.

Gratzie.

Joseph

Phones

There are not many payphones any more in Florence. You might be able to get someone to call a taxi from the museum...maybe...you can always try and ask.

but you might be best walking to the taxi stand.

I second Donna's suggestions about taxi there and the walk back down, if you have the time.

On the other hand, if you want a taxi back down because you're short on time, there is a taxi stand at the Piazzale towards the corner where it meets Viale Poggi (the street under the Piazzale). It is near the bar. That way you don't pay for a waiting taxi.

And to go TAKE the taxi up, just walk out of the Accademia, turn right and head to Piazza San Marco and cross the piazza. There is a taxi stand on the far side of the piazza, by the newsagent kiosk. So even closer than the one behind the Duomo!

Once you arrive at the train station and check your luggage, if you have the time, do walk to the museum so that you can see a little bit of Florence on the way - otherwise you'll be able to say you came to Florence but saw it practically just from afar ;-)