www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com

Thread: Elevator in Campanile/Bell Tower?

Default Elevator in Campanile/Bell Tower?

Ciao,

Does anyone know if there is a working elevator in the Campanile, or Bell Tower, next to the Duomo? I see conflicting info on this on different websites! Grazie!

Default Found it!

So, I have finally found official info online that indicates no elevator in the Campanile - bell tower. Thanks to all who responded.

Ciao Kparis,

I've been under the weather this week and come back to what seems like hundreds of posts, it will take me a while to work through them all ;-)

Yes, I can confirm to you 100% there is no elevator in Giotto's bell tower, nor at the Duomo's cupola - all steps that have to be climbed up!
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Buongiorno, again, Lourdes, long time! I am sorry to hear you were not feeling well. Glad you are back! As you might be able to tell, I am narrowing down my itinerary now. I've got Venice done, and will get to see the Regatta! I am working on Florence, but the museums opening days and hours are complicated in Firenze. And with the recent closing of Bargello on first Monday of the month, that totally messed up my plan for my arrival date. I have to re-work it now, but hopefully can find something for the afternoon. Then I get to do the Rificolona! I'm also going to the Arno the next night for the boats with lights on them. My apartment is one block from Arno, a few steps from Uffizi entrance! Looking forward to seeing your city! Ciao! Karen

Ciao Karen,

Definitely seems like the itinerary is coming together quite well, glad to be of help for any other questions you might have!
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Default Help with Trains!

Oh, actually, yes, Lourdes! I have looked into the trains in Italy in detail and find it all confusing. Would you be able to provide links to the best web pages to purchase train tickets for train 1) from Pisa to Florence (fastest), 2) train from Florence to Rome, and 3) train from Florence to Pisa leaving around noon. I think I have found the right places to look but before I purchase tickets I would like to be sure. I think I cannot purchase (or even view a schedule/pricing until three months in advance of my dates, correct? And is it better to purchase the Florence/Pisa train ticket in person at a machine in the SMN station, or online ahead of time and get a voucher? Grazie!

Ciao Karen,

The Florence to Pisa and back are regional trains. As such, they are all the same and take the same time, there is no need to get them ahead of time and you can just buy them once you're here, at the train station right before you get on them.

The Florence to Rome, on the other hand, is a line that offers lots of different types of trains, from regional to really fast. So you do need to decide which one and get seats on those (the regional are just first-come, first seated ) - you should look on both www.trenitalia.com as well as www.italotreno.it to see all offerings. Italo only connects major cities and using secondary train stations, it has only existed for a few years and is trying to compete with Trenitalia, the state/half-privatized company, at least for the longer routes. There are sales on these cities, sometimes based on days of the week and that sort of thing. So keep an eye on them and get your tickets in July - you might be able to get tickets on Italo earlier but the Trenitalia doesn't let you buy anything before 2 months of travel dates.

Buongiorno, Lordes. Thanks for the info. I knew about both train lines and because there are so many choices, that's what I find daunting. At any rate, good to know I cannot purchase until July, and good to know the "secondary" line - Italo - has sales. There is one now for Venice to Florence for 15 EU but only offered for May. I will keep an eye out. I think maybe I'm looking at this correctly and will be ok to purchase later on. On another note, in the thread about Rificolona, I had asked if you know any place in particular near Pzza. della Signoria to get a lantern, or are they just everywhere, and at stands around the city? Of course, you know I arrive on Sept. 7, the day of, and want to get a lantern for that evening!

For the Rificolona - just look for them as you walk, most paper/office supply stores will have them, they will be hanging out by the street and you know they'll have them.
    They are always on Via dei Servi so head that way as well to get yours beforehand.

Default Lanterns!

Ciao, Lourdes, thank you again for your help. I hope you are feeling well. I am glad to know it will be that easy to get a lantern (and I presume - ???? - batteries will be sold at the same places for the LED light in the lantern????)........and I did get my train tickets for Venezia to Firenze and Firenze to Roma on Italo and on Trenitalia (varying schedules necessitated one ticket on each line) - very low prices since I purchased so early - over THREE months ahead! I am now looking at the train ticket for Roma to the airport - but think I cannot purchase yet on Trenitalia for Leonardo Express. I am debating whether to order my Firenze Pass and Roma Pass online ahead of time, and think probably not, as it won't save any time since I have to exchange the printed receipt for the card, anyway. Or, maybe so, and then exchange a a sight where lines are not so long, like Palazzo Vecchio (near my apartment). Anyway, the trip is getting closer and I'm getting more excited! My landlady in Florence has invited me to lunch at a place where she says tourists don't know about, so that should be fun!

Share and Bookmark!