One Day in Florence - some questions

scsc

Hello:
I know JTS has posted a question with a similar title, but my question refers to other aspects of Florence.

1. I will be traveling from Rome by train. I am assuming I should book rail tickets from Roma Termini to Firenze SM Novella, and back?

2. I will be visiting on a Wednesday in October. Will it be possible to cover the Uffizi Gallery and the Academia Museum in one day.

3. Should I buy tickets online before I arrive? Since time is limited, I am trying to streamline the process as much as possible. Is there a Museum pass available?

Thank you in advance for any advice/guidance.

Florence in a Day

Buongiorno,

Though it is impossible to see all of Florence in a day :) - if you get in early enough and DEFINITELY book your tickets in advance you should be able to see a lot of what Florence has to offer.

I wouldn't plan on any other museums, after your visits try to walk around and immerse yourself in the "atmosphere" of Florence. And that would definitely include a gelato - one of my favorite places is La Carraia Gelateria (Piazza Nazario Sauro, 25-red, 50124 Firenze) AND from here you can get some great shots of Ponte Vecchio....Pistacchio my all time favorite :p

Buon Viaggio

Donna Denise

1. Whatever is closest to you in Rome, either Termini or another station. Italo Treni, which is a competitor to Trenitalia, often uses secondary train stations. It has good deals and just as fast trains and connects all of the major cities in Italy from Naples to the north. See www.italotreno.it to check the timetables and cost.

2. Yes, both are doable, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. Try to give yourself time in between to not get overwhelmed with art in one day!

3. There is a Firenze Card that is a museum pass, but for one day, it isn't worth 72 euros. If you only visit Uffizi and Accademia, just book those museums ahead of time on http://www.uffizi.org

Rookie

Hi Lordes.

I started school a month ago at Siena and now that i'm fully acclimated I want to go wandering. I went to San Gimignano last weekend an it was amazing. I'm off to Florence this weekend for the start of what I hope will be multiple visits. What places would you recommend to a beginner like myself? I also don't have a lot of money so if you could link me to cheap or discounted tours?

Great to hear you are wandering out of Siena!

I think you could do a cheap walking tour to get a general feel of what is in Florence (take a look at these - see there is one for 19 and another for 25 euro?) and then afterward just visit a lot of places on your own. Especially if you plan to come back to Florence more than once, the best strategy is to take it slow and absorb what you see - you don't have to rush so shouldn't!

For example, if you want to visit the Uffizi or Accademia, plan on doing it on separate trips and only one museum per day. We have several suggested itineraries with ideas of how to plan multiple days in Florence, as well as self-guided walking tours here: http://www.visitflorence.com/itineraries-in-florence/