Nature over museums

littlelaiche

Hi my husband and I are going to Europe next June. We are arriving in Naples early Saturday & will be driving straight to Florence to meet up with another couple. The plan is to be there by noon & seeing some sights then we'll have a full day Sunday. We are planning to leave Monday at some point to go to Venice & then we head out of Italy for some other areas. We do plan on doing more in Italy on the back end of the trip, such as Rome & Naples/Amalfi Coast. My question is, what would you recommend for Florence? Should we do 2 half days and a full day in the area? We will be staying at Dedo Boutique Hotel right in the city. Where would be the best place to go to see Tuscan vineyards and landscapes? There will also be a 2 month old baby with us at that point.

Thanks,
Marlene

Whirlwind Trip

Buongiorno,

Sounds like you will be doing a lot of moving around, the first thing I suggest is avoid a car and take the train...you won't need the car in Florence and the trains are fast and convenient. From Naples to Florence in three hours...even from Florence to Venice...much easier. You don't need a car in Venice either - and with your tight schedule it doesn't sound as if you will be making many side stops.

While in Florence just concentrate on Florence (no car, no worries, no stress!)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

I agree with Donna - since your time is really limited, I'd concentrate on just seeing Florence that first time, then if you do return on your way back, then spend at least 2 days in Tuscany -- you can stay in Siena if you don't rent a car, or in the countryside if you do rent a car.

With a 2 month old in tow, I really do suggest to slow it down a bit and try to see things in a more relaxed way. Don't underestimate the fact that you're likely to be a bit sleep deprived as a standard living condition the first year with a newborn so less will be better ;-)

thanks

Thanks for your responses. We're not spending our entire trip in Italy so a car will be needed for all that we plan on doing. As far as having a baby with us, its only going to be on the Florence part of the tirp. The baby will be of friends who are meeting us there. What do you recommend for 1 full day and 2 half days in Florence?

Half Days

Hi -

Definitely one full day and if you can turn those two half days into another full day, then I think you will get a lot more out of your time in the city. Here is a quick and complete two day itin.

Be sure to plan your museum visits in advance, and buy the tickets early so you don't lose time waiting in line.

If you need a car for the time you are not in Italy - then rent it out of Venice, so you don't need to worry about parking in the city (both Florence and Venice are tight on the parking situation and it really is just one less hassel.) Besides you might find picking the car up in another country is a better price.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna