ZTL zones FLORENCE

Eagle

I am aware of the ZTL zones in Florence. I am also aware there are differnce zones. I want to park just south of the river near the Pont de Vehico and notice that is ZONE B. I cannot locate any information about what that means. When can I drive in it if at all. Thanks.

Have you read our article on the ZTL here?
http://www.visitflorence.com/tourist-info/driving-in-florence-ztl-zone.html

This is pretty updated to show that the area to the south of the Arno, particularly the area near Ponte Vecchio, is no longer a B zone but an O zone.
Doesn't matter anyway -- the three zones, A, B and O, are ALL part of the ZTL which only those with permits can access during the hours that the ZTL is active!

So assuming you are thinking of visiting during the day -- NO, don't try to park that close to the center, you will enter the O zone (O stands for Oltrarno) and you will get fined.
Unless you are entering and parking after ZTL hours. Then you can enter and get closer - although not that close to Ponte Vecchio. There is a second camera (the one marked #26 on the map) that delimits a pedestrian only area - you can't enter that AT ALL during the night either (unless you have a permit for that area).

You don't mention WHEN you are coming to Florence -- because if you look at the map, you CAN drive along the Arno's south side DURING THE DAY in what is marked as sector F - so you CAN PARK along the ARNO in this area, which still brings you pretty close to Ponte Vecchio.
Remember it is PAID parking, so during the day, make sure to pay and get a ticket from a nearby parking meter that you put inside your car.

If any of this isn't clear, do post your questions --- I'd prefer to answer any doubts to ensure you enjoy a happy time in Florence, worry free from parking/ZTL problems :D

Ciao

Thank you for your reply. Yes I read the Article and anything else I can find on the ZTLzones in Florence. We are arriving on the 29 December until 2 November. So for an Aussie family it will be interesting spending new year in this historic city instead of watching the fire works at the Opera house and Sydney harbour.

I have done some more research and in particular where the zones end. I have been looking at the parking station at PIAZZA CESARE BECCARIA and it seems to be on the outside of the zone on the east. Do you know if that is correct.

It would be good if it is as we are staying in the via de Corso.

I have read many of the other answers you have provided and the are so helpful.

Grazie

You are staying very central which is good. New Year's eve fireworks will not be grand as the ones you're used to, I'm afraid, but you should definitely go out and enjoy the free music concerts throughout the city - and enjoy the fireworks at midnight as well!
We'll post more info on what's planned for NYE as we find out more - unfortunately, details are not public until much closer to the date but we do expect them to be in the same general line.

As for parking - yes, the Piazza Beccaria parking is outside of the ZTL area so you can reach it and park there. So I take it you are arriving with a car and then proceeding elsewhere after Florence with the car? Are you planning to use Florence as a base to see other towns in Tuscany and thus will be out during the day? The car park at Beccaria is the closest to Via del Corso, and if you will be using the car a lot, then you will only pay for when you use it.... but if you're planning to park and then not use it much because you're concentrating on seeing Florence (which I highly recommend), you should consider the car park at the Parterre/Piazza della Liberta or Piazza Alberti as these two have daily parking fees (while Beccaria doesn't, it only has a per hour fee). They are a bit further away but you could always catch a bus back into the center.

Parking in B Sector/Area - ZTL

Dear Lourdes,

I read your article on the ZTL here: http://www.visitflorence.com/tourist...-ztl-zone.html

I see that The A area is off-limits for those without a permit, at all times (the red light will be on always).

What about Sector B?
Is it permitted Weekdays from 7:30 am to 8 pm and Saturdays from 7:30 am to 4 pm ?

I have booked an apartment with address: Via del Gomitolo dell'Oro 02, Firenze.
I see that this address is in sector B (ZTL).

What if I want to park in a private parking on Via Ricasoli 28 (FIRPARKING-Garage Michelangelo)?
Is it possible to do it during the day without beeing fined and without beeing in the white lists?

Could you please give me guidance about parking for 24 hours in a parking lot suitable for the address: Via del Gomitolo dell'Oro 02, Firenze ?

Thank you and kind regards,
Krassimira

All sector A, B and O are part of the ZTL - they are differentiated only in so far to create different permits for residents and access they have within the ZTL area.

But if you use a private garage, such as the one on Via Ricasoli, you can drive to it and out of the ZTL at any hour of the day -- it is part of their business to make sure your license plate is sent to the police so that you are NOT FINED for entering the ZTL to park at their garage. They basically add your license plate to the white list for around the time you entered the ZTL to get to them.
It is the way the city works to not penalize businesses within the ZTL. If they couldn't do that, then no one would seek their business - and as for garages and hotels, it is principal to have guests/patrons be able to reach them!!

Alternatives: while there is the San Lorenzo market parking lot and SMN parking lots nearby, they turn out more expensive than the private one you've already found. If you're looking to park for 24 hours or more, I would go with the Michelangelo one you found. That way you don't have to worry about the route to the garage -- once you enter the ZTL area and then reach the private garage, your license # is sent to the white list and you're ok. Not so with the other two. If is likely if you need to stay more days, you can request a discount on multiple days - ask them to make sure!

Hope this is helpful to you!!

Dear Lourdes,

Thank you so much for your quick response!
Yes, this is helpful for me.

By the way, the host recommend me LA LUNA Garage via Panicale. He state that it is out of the red lights of the ZTL.
I made a phone conversation with somebody from LA LUNA Garage and he confirmed that the garage is not in the ZTL. I only have to reach it without passing the red lights of the ZTL.

Best regards,
Krassimira

Yes, that one seems to be on the route to get to San Lorenzo market -- and closer to where you are staying!

If you take Via Santa Caterina d'Alessandria (which turns into Via Nazionale), turn left on Via Guelfa (following sings to the market) then you should be able to then turn right on Via Panicale you should reach it without going under any of the ZTL red traffic lights and therefore not enter the ZTL. You'll just have to be very careful to not take any wrong turns or not take the right turns (for example, if you stay on Via Guelfa, there is a stop light further down the street).

Best of luck - and have a great stay in Florence!

Dear Lourdes,

I have this route on the map, and I was wondering how to send it to you to confirm.

Thank you so much!!!!

:)

Krassimira