4.5 days split between Florence and Rome with children

Hahmedca

Hi Lourdes,

My husband, two boys and I will be flying into Florence next week Jan 13th around noon and will depart to Rome on the 15th also for 2 nights and then back to Florence on the 17th and will have the rest of the afternoon to roam around and check out museums. Do you think it is doable to do a 1/2 day trip to Pisa without tour guide company? or do you recommend to book with the one? I wasn't planning to going to Pisa by my kids (11 & 8) really wanted to see the leaning tower. Thank You

Pisa on trip

Buongiorno,

That is a lot of moving around for 4.5 days on vacation, however, it is also "do"-able .

You are taking to the train to Rome, correct? it will save you time for sure!

As for Pisa a half day visit is good for the Square of Miracles and the Leaning tower...remember to get your tickets to climb to the top before you leave because it is NOT always possible to get them onsite - once they are sold out - there are no more for that day.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

You can and should most definitely take your boys to Pisa to see the Leaning Tower!
Since they are both over 8, I highly recommend you make the climb - it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and quite awesome.
You can see more about booking tickets ahead of time here: http://www.towerofpisa.org/
although you can also just buy on site, given the low season. Do check the hours for January, as they are shorter.
I would suggest going in the morning, doing the climb, checking out the other monuments in the square, having lunch and then heading back to Florence. You can do this on your own, it isn't too complicated - take train to Pisa (1 hour) and buy tickets as you go. You can take bus to the square or walk there (it isn't that far) or catch train to San Rossore station as it is closer. For lunch, I recommend pizza and "cecina" (chickpea pizza) at Montino, a very popular place among locals between - here's the location: https://goo.gl/maps/By5Zn2oegE...
Enjoy!!