Running and Romance in Florence

TeddieMao

My wife and I will be in Florence the end of May. I was wondering if there are any good running spots or trails (3-5/miles) that anyone could suggest while we are there. Or local running groups? Also we will be celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary and separate May birthdays as well. Any special romantic places/restaurants that might be worth it? Thanks!

Running in Florence

Buongiorno,

Not much of a runner myself - but I do love to walk and one of my favorite walks in Florence when I just want a bit of peace is along the Arno River.

I have attached a link that has a map - - the red trail is way too long (45km), but there are pieces of it that might strike a chord with you in the city and along the river:

http://www.firenzeurbantrail.com/it/le-gare/45-km/percorso.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Buongiorno,

Not much of a runner myself - but I do love to walk and one of my favorite walks in Florence when I just want a bit of peace is along the Arno River.

I have attached a link that has a map - - the red trail is way too long (45km), but there are pieces of it that might strike a chord with you in the city and along the river:

http://www.firenzeurbantrail.com/it/le-gare/45-km/percorso.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

This is a great help!! Thank you so much!!!

I recommend the parts within Florence found at that map Donna shared - all along the Arno (until it leaves it) on the East side of Florence, and the part that goes up to the Piazzale Michelangelo (all hills and great for training).

The only part of that uphill run you can't really do - and I wouldn't recommend it - is the part that heads down from Viale Galileo unless you want to torture yourself ;) That is a steep decline and then a very steep uphill to the Forte Belvedere (that course has a piece inside the Boboli which you can't do without paying entrance - and they allow running during races but with other visitors I think you'll find it impossible).
I would instead stay on Viale Galileo and keep going on the curving streets (Macchiavelli) that heads down to Porta Romana.

If you take a look at that map of Florence, to the west end there is a LARGE GREEN area - it is Florence's Central park equivalent, the Cascine. It is a great place to run even if it is further to get to from the center. Lots of runners there - just stick to daylight hours and to the large lane running parallel to the river. Some areas of the park are not well lit after dark along the wooded areas - and avoid it on Tuesday mornings for runs, as it is market day and the Cascine market spreads along that area.
Great for shopping though! :D