How to spend a month in Florence?

NewScool

I'm heading to Florence for a month-long trip (mid May to mid June). It's just my wife and I. We have lodging in Florence.

Does anyone have any tips on how to approach a trip of this length? Most guides offer advice for shorter trips. We will be working a little bit while there, but most week days and weekends will be free.

We appreciate any advice, tips, and recommendations about where to go, what to do, and how to do it!

Thanks!

A month in Florence

Buongiorno,

Beautiful!!! a month really gives you the opportunity to "live" it a bit.

First, I suggest that if you are getting around with public transport that you do that during the week because of the more abundant runs via bus or train and use the weekends for exploring the city of Florence.

However, the availablity of a car at least for a few days will make extended day trips easier and more enjoyable (just think val d'Orcia...)

I would also advise keeping up with an events calendar (like this one) and even those of inividual museums, because you will find lots of fun activities that you can partecipate in. Another place to check out the calendar is That's Prato - for free tours starting at Firenze SMN train station...

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Grazzie

Thanks so much for the tips, Donna Denise. A car rental sound doable, I'll have to look into it. And the val d'Orcia area looks amazing. Thanks!

Buongiorno,

Beautiful!!! a month really gives you the opportunity to "live" it a bit.

First, I suggest that if you are getting around with public transport that you do that during the week because of the more abundant runs via bus or train and use the weekends for exploring the city of Florence.

However, the availablity of a car at least for a few days will make extended day trips easier and more enjoyable (just think val d'Orcia...)

I would also advise keeping up with an events calendar (like this one) and even those of inividual museums, because you will find lots of fun activities that you can partecipate in. Another place to check out the calendar is That's Prato - for free tours starting at Firenze SMN train station...

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes, I feel very fortunate to have so much time to spend there. I'm trying to keep focused on maintaining a leisurely pace compared to most trips that are sped through. It sounds like renting a car and exploring the region is a great way to do some day trips. Any tips on renting a car?

You will not be at a loss for things to do, that's for sure. A month sounds great, because you can do things at a more leisurely pace than the typical tourist. Instead of trying to see/do 3 or more attractions in a day you'll be able to do one. You won't have to rush. You'll have time to do those attractions that are less common, such as Palazzo Davanzati or the Bargello Museum. Plus, you'll have time for day trips via bus/train to any number of villages, such as Arezzo or Lucca. Rent a car, and those options become even greater. I am envious!

Some suggestions

WOW! It sounds great!

So for first take a look to the site of Federico Minghi (it's in italian, I hope you can enjoy it), you will find many things people don't know about Tuscany. The tradition of the cigars, for example, or the many way of hiking around Florence. www.federicominghi.it

Next you can decide to enjoy the Chianti region, visit Montefioralle, Monteriggioni, Montaione, Colle Val d'Elsa, Volterra, San Gimignano. Take a walk around the countryside, in the area surrounding Villa Ciggiano, it's a charming area (between Castelfalfi and Montaione).
You have to explore with a day trip Pistoia, Lucca, Pisa and Siena. May be Livorno, if you can.
A really fine things would be to take a two days trip to Elba Island, a real corner of Paradise.

I hope you will enjoy Tuscany!