Florence/Pisa/Venice

pinkade

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy around early to Mid-November. We were wondering if you could advise on the following:

1. Can Florence be completed in 2 days with a brief visit to Pisa?

2. Can all the main attractions in Florence be covered on foot?

3. This is a list of places we are thinking about going to in Florence - are they worth seeing & should we consider getting an express pass/advanced ticket for any (or all) of them (if they are available):

(a) Piazzale Michelangelo
(b) Galleria dell'Accademia
(c) Florence Cathedral
(d) Uffizi Gallery
(e) Boboli Gardens
(f) Ponte Vecchio

4. Would it be worthwhile to invest in any walking tours and/or hop on hop off bus tours for the above-named sights?

5. With respect to Venice, I have only found a gondola ride down the grand canal with views of the Rialto Bridge etc. to be worth our while. Thus, we found that we would only really need 1 day in Venice - is there anything else that we could do in Venice?

6. As for the gondola ride - can be buy the tickets there or should we book in advance and roughly how much should it cost?

Sorry for bombarding you! We read your website and you seem to be well traveled around Italy so we would like to make sure that we are getting the most from our trip there.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks

some answers

Buongiorno,

1) yes it can - but I would strongly advise 2 days in Florence and a day combining Pisa and Lucca.

2. absolutely! Florence is very walkable - and if you like to walk, it will be a breeze.

5. Just came back from a trip to Venice last weekend. Personally, the gondola rides are a bit of hype...prices range from 70-100 Euros. You can get plan it when you get there, the stands are all over and you deal directly with the gondola driver :cool: the price varies according to time, destination and you can pair up with another couple and split the costs....unless you are looking for absolute romance:cool:

Other destinations include Burano and Murano - one island specializes in hand made lace and the other hand blown glass. Both are interesting...but not must see's. I would definitely take a peek in the church in the San Marco square. And if you like less crowded areas head towards the Arsenal...and let yourself get lost in the winding little streets. I ate at Trattoria /enoteca Al Volto (Address: Calle Cavalli, 4081, 30124 Venezia) and loved it. They have a small menu but it almost seems more geared for the locals. I had the Venetian Liver (but I know not everyone goes crazy over liver like me :-D) they also had Venetian rabbit...EXCELLENT. And I tried the sardine apetizer - lots of onions...but very yummy.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Florence/Venice/Pisa/Rome etc.

Thanks very much for your helpful advice!

1. Is Pisa worth seeing or is it just a fad?

2. Umm...no rabbit for us - we're vegetarian :eek: Do they have some reasonable veggie options?

3. We actual begin our travels in Rome and were hoping to do the ruins in Pompeii & Amalfi coast as well before moving on to Venice & Florence etc...can you advise on a cost effective way to do this?

Thanks!

Some might consider Pisa just a fad or a must to check off their list, and many just go see the Leaning Tower and then leave. I actually think the town is very laid back and interesting to see, go beyond the Square of Miracles and just roam around. It is a university town so lots of students around, and lots of small shops and eateries where you can find good food at decent prices.
Climbing UP the tower, I think, is a must at least once in your lifetime :D

Having said that, most people have limited time so I understand they might not want to spend a whole day there, but a whole morning for sure! So I often recommend dividing up the day and doing Pisa in the morning and Lucca in the afternoon, they are close by and are quite different so complement each other well.

You won't have problems in finding vegetarian options at most every restaurant, just stay away from any especially known for their "bistecca" or steak where they might have limited veggie options or none at all.

Sorry, no helpful tips for Amalfi or Pompeii also I've heard many do it as a day trip from Rome (doing an organized trip such as these).

Sardinia?

Thanks so much again for your helpful advice!

I was just wondering is it possible to do Sardinia from Rome by ferry? Or is it too far? We want to try and cram in the best beaches in Italy if we can (not at the expense of the main sights though).

The ferries from Rome to Sardinia take 5 hours during the day, 8 hours at night... so it really isn't "right" close by.

Aside from the beaches along the coast which are easier to reach, keep in mind that by mid-November the water will be chilly and days might be more grey than sunny. Mid-November is low season for the entire coast so if you want to stay there along the way, make sure to contact places and ask if they're open!

Hi

We are visiting Florence in early November, and we plan to visit one of the garden there. Which garden will you recommend to visit in Nov?

Thanks
Angela

Gardens in November

Buongiorno,

In November - or actually anytime - my first suggestion would be Boboli gardens, not only is it a beautiful arrangement of plants, statues and panoramic views over Florence but it is also a monumental garden of historic importance. Read this article which gives you a lot more details about the gardens. https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-museums/boboli-gardens.html

However, there are several that are beautiful to visit and I suggest that you read this article for a few more ideas: https://www.visitflorence.com/what-to-see-in-florence/gardens-in-florence.html

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise