Easter 2018/Scoppio del Carro

atlaslion21

Hi. I was hoping someone could help me figure out when Easter 2018 will be in Italy. As I understand it, Florence has the Scoppio del Carro on that date. Everything I see suggests Easter will be April 1, but this website (http://www.firenzeyesplease.com/en/post/scoppio-del-carro/) says that the Scoppio will be on April 15. Since I thought the Scoppio is held on Easter, I'm now confused. Thanks! Help appreciated.

I can most definitely confirm that this year, in 2018, Easter falls on April 1st and as such, the Scoppio del Carro will be on that day. That other website must have an automatic feature that "renews" an event every year on the same date whereas a manual check is always necessary. We have events in Tuscany that often repeat on the same day every year -- this is true for feast days of patron saints -- and there there are the events that fall on a specific weekend of the month, such as the last Saturday or 1st Saturday... so then the date definitely has to be double checked.

So fro 2018 -- confirm Easter is on April 1st! :)

Uffizi & other museums April 1 & 2 2018

I've read that the Uffizi and Accademia are open and have free entry on Easter, April 1, but do I still need to get a ticket to get in? If so, and if I get a ticket online, is it still no charge? Would buying a ticket in advance (charge or not) get me through the line any faster on Easter?
I also read that the Uffizi may open on Easter Monday - even though it's listed as closed on Mondays. Grazie

Ciao Barcelona,

May I ask where you have read that the Uffizi and Accademia will for sure have free entry on April 1st? I have yet to see any official confirmation about it. They will be open for sure, since they are always open on Easter but whether free or not has not been confirmed.

One can hope they will honor the "free first Sunday of the month" this year but Easter Sunday is a very profitable day for them, very very busy day and booking tickets is the main way they manage the amount of visitors on that day.
On the free Sundays, the thing is you CANNOT BOOK tickets ahead of time so I see a nightmare for visitors if they honor the free entrance that day. It means LONG LONG lines and waiting times. You do have to wait in line and get a ticket before visitng the museum.
The ONLY way I know to skip lines on the free Sundays of the month is to buy the Firenze Card but at 72 euro per card if you're only in Florence on that Sunday going to the Uffizi and Accademia would be costly. If you're here for more days, you should consider it. Make sure to read this: http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-museums/is-firenze-card-worth-it.html

I am not saying anything on whether April 1st will be free or not, just wary because I have not seen anything confirming it (and I keep a look out for these types of news ;) ). I can only say that the city of Florence, which manages other museums in Florence such as Palazzo Vecchio, has moved their "free first Sunday" (which is only for residents) from April 1st to the 8th, for that precise reason.

As for Easter Monday: both museums are usually closed on Mondays but the last 5 years they have done a special opening on Easter Monday to open the museum up to the crowds. So while we can safely assume it will be so again this year, you really cannot say it without having official confirmation from the museums. Unfortunately these types of official news only are given out a few weeks beforehand. If you want to consider getting the Firenze Card, just wait and get it here, that way you have time to see whether the museum will be free or not and to book tickets or get the card.

Ciao Barcelona,

May I ask where you have read that the Uffizi and Accademia will for sure have free entry on April 1st? I have yet to see any official confirmation about it. They will be open for sure, since they are always open on Easter but whether free or not has not been confirmed.

One can hope they will honor the "free first Sunday of the month" this year but Easter Sunday is a very profitable day for them, very very busy day and booking tickets is the main way they manage the amount of visitors on that day.
On the free Sundays, the thing is you CANNOT BOOK tickets ahead of time so I see a nightmare for visitors if they honor the free entrance that day. It means LONG LONG lines and waiting times. You do have to wait in line and get a ticket before visitng the museum.
The ONLY way I know to skip lines on the free Sundays of the month is to buy the Firenze Card but at 72 euro per card if you're only in Florence on that Sunday going to the Uffizi and Accademia would be costly. If you're here for more days, you should consider it. Make sure to read this: http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-museums/is-firenze-card-worth-it.html

I am not saying anything on whether April 1st will be free or not, just wary because I have not seen anything confirming it (and I keep a look out for these types of news ;) ). I can only say that the city of Florence, which manages other museums in Florence such as Palazzo Vecchio, has moved their "free first Sunday" (which is only for residents) from April 1st to the 8th, for that precise reason.

As for Easter Monday: both museums are usually closed on Mondays but the last 5 years they have done a special opening on Easter Monday to open the museum up to the crowds. So while we can safely assume it will be so again this year, you really cannot say it without having official confirmation from the museums. Unfortunately these types of official news only are given out a few weeks beforehand. If you want to consider getting the Firenze Card, just wait and get it here, that way you have time to see whether the museum will be free or not and to book tickets or get the card.

Thank you so much for your detailed answers! I was looking at so many different sites that I don't remember where I (thought) I saw an item about free entry. As I've been to both museums several times before, I may skip the long lines this year. Or, wait & see when we get there.

Easter

Since we are talking about Easter, Can anyone tell me if there will be any masses held around Florence's main areas? Also, what other places are best to visit that day if many museums will be overcrowded?

Mass on Easter Sunday

Buongirono,

The mass schedule for Easter Sunday is like any other Sunday and the hours will vary according to the church you wish to attend. Your best plan of action is to go directly to their official website for information regarding the holiday services.

Have a look at this link for a suggestion of some of the more beautiful historic churches in the city center:

https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-churches/

Personally one of my favorite churches to visit is San Miniato al Monte, above the Piazzale Michelangelo.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Terry,

Yes, expect Florence to be crowded over the Easter weekend.... but some sites are really large so you even if you find a bit of a line, it will move quickly and you will be able to visit. I would suggest to keeping away from the Uffizi and Accademia and focusing on visiting any other on your list. For example, I would suggest the Bargello, the Medici Chapels, San Marco or the Pitti museums. All are state museums and will be free on Easter Sunday since it also happens to be the first Sunday of the month this year for April. The Pitti Palace is a large complex so you can have your choice - pick one with short lines to explore something you wouldn't have otherwise ;-).

Thanks so much

Buongirono,

The mass schedule for Easter Sunday is like any other Sunday and the hours will vary according to the church you wish to attend. Your best plan of action is to go directly to their official website for information regarding the holiday services.

Have a look at this link for a suggestion of some of the more beautiful historic churches in the city center:

https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-churches/

Personally one of my favorite churches to visit is San Miniato al Monte, above the Piazzale Michelangelo.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thanks so much. I just cant find the local churches. I am Catholic too. I keep getting redirected to all the historic chruches.

Last edited:
Lourdes,
On your previous reply to someone, you were unsure if some of the museums are open on Easter. So you do think that most will be open and maybe free? So I should not look to get tickets on line before? Also, do you think it is best to get tickets before to get into Accademy and Uffizi? or do a tour to get in faster? I only have 2 full days there and a 3rd we are doing a tour to Tuscanny(Siena, Pisa and a vineyard). Very excited

Terry -

As far as the churches, all the churches continue to give masses, even the historic ones. The cathedral/Duomo gets super crowded on Easter Sunday because of the Scoppio del Carro... it would be an interesting experience to go there for mass and be inside the church (were you planning to see the scoppio outside? you would miss it this way) when the "dove" is lit at the altar and it makes its way to the outside to hit the cart.

Otherwise, I would suggest SS. Annunziata or Santa Maria Novella - you can see times for mass services here for all of them:
Duomo: http://www.duomofirenze.it/gg/attivita/liturgical.htm
Santa Maria Novella: https://www.smn.it/en/liturgia/
SS Annunziata: http://www.pmap.it/parrocchiemap/consultazione/parrocchie/orarimesse.jsp?icsc=2550016

As far as museums, I still have not seen official confirmation that Uffizi or Accademia will be free or not... YES, they are always open on Easter Sunday (not confirmed but likely will also be open on Easter Monday) but the fact that you cannot book tickets for that day is a sign that they will likely be FREE. It means you CANNOT book tickets for that day and will need to be in line to get inside. With crowds being what they are on that day, you can walk around and check them out -- if the lines are not crazy, get in line to go in. What is the other day you are in Florence, Saturday or Monday? If you can, book a ticket for one of the other days and avoid a bit of the crowds. I am not sure whether tours will run on Easter Sunday, see what you find available. It could be one way to go around the large line and give over the problem with entry to the tour agency.

Terry -

As far as the churches, all the churches continue to give masses, even the historic ones. The cathedral/Duomo gets super crowded on Easter Sunday because of the Scoppio del Carro... it would be an interesting experience to go there for mass and be inside the church (were you planning to see the scoppio outside? you would miss it this way) when the "dove" is lit at the altar and it makes its way to the outside to hit the cart.

Otherwise, I would suggest SS. Annunziata or Santa Maria Novella - you can see times for mass services here for all of them:
Duomo: http://www.duomofirenze.it/gg/attivita/liturgical.htm
Santa Maria Novella: https://www.smn.it/en/liturgia/
SS Annunziata: http://www.pmap.it/parrocchiemap/consultazione/parrocchie/orarimesse.jsp?icsc=2550016

As far as museums, I still have not seen official confirmation that Uffizi or Accademia will be free or not... YES, they are always open on Easter Sunday (not confirmed but likely will also be open on Easter Monday) but the fact that you cannot book tickets for that day is a sign that they will likely be FREE. It means you CANNOT book tickets for that day and will need to be in line to get inside. With crowds being what they are on that day, you can walk around and check them out -- if the lines are not crazy, get in line to go in. What is the other day you are in Florence, Saturday or Monday? If you can, book a ticket for one of the other days and avoid a bit of the crowds. I am not sure whether tours will run on Easter Sunday, see what you find available. It could be one way to go around the large line and give over the problem with entry to the tour agency.

Hi, Yes thank you for that info. I finally found it, but took a long time. I think we may be doing the 9 am mass at the Duomo so we can see the Scopio del Carro following. I think on Sunday I will visit some other place and take the day as it comes and try and see a few things. Will look into the Accandemia but would assume very crowded. I did reserve tickets for Tuesay I think. I called but was very difficult to hear. They told me to pick up at Door #3. Hope that is right. lol. No tours are available on Easter that I could find, but it is fine. Now just looking into making dinner reservations for Easter as I imaigine that would be also a problem. Thanks so much!