Tour of San Miniato?

SuzanneT

Hi all,
Does anyone know of a small group tour of San Miniato? I sure haven't found one.

And if there's no tour, where might I hop the bus to get there and then walk down? I see it's #13. Can we buy a ticket when we hop on the bus vs going to SM Novella?

Thanks for your help on this. I understand taxis won't drive up there and I can't gage whether I can walk it or not!

Cheers,
Suzanne

Here are 3 options for tours that include San Miniato Church, they aren't only of the church though - ever thought of a Vespa tour? This could be your chance!

- http://tours.visitflorence.com/en/1...ivan-grand-panoramic-city-tour/d519-47680P161

- http://tours.visitflorence.com/en/1...espa-Panoramic-Tour-of-Florence/d519-5919P100

- http://tours.visitflorence.com/en/1...eaven-Angels-and-their-language/d519-29255P13

In any case, do note that taxis can take you up there! Taxis can take you anywhere in Florence, you pay by the meter so of course costs depends where you get on and how far you have to go and how long it takes.

As far as buses go, you can buy the tickets on the bus but the tickets cost more, you need perfect change otherwise don't expect the driver to give you any and we've received feedback on this forum of people telling us that they tried to get a ticket and the driver didn't have any!! Then, to make matters worse, they got asked to show their ticket by the ticket controllers and of course got fined for not having it! So my advice is to always buy tickets ahead of time: you can get them at most bars/cafe shops or at some automatic machines near main stops (like at Piazza San Marco). Bars have an ATAF sticker on their glass doors so you know they sell bus tickets inside. Otherwise you can send a text message to 4880105 with the word "ataf" only and you get a digital ticket via text message. It costs more but less than buying it from the bus driver ;-).

Lourdes...thank you for all this very useful information, including the option to buy bus tickets at bars etc.!

RE: tour
I have been in Florence 3 weeks and today I take off for Rome. 3 weeks here is not enough time so this morning I am meeting with someone to see if I can arrange to return for another 3 weeks starting mid May. YAHOO!!!!

I LOVE the 3rd tour of San Miniato but at 72+ I'm concerned I can't walk up the hill fast enough. A bigger concern I have is walking down the stairs if they don't have a handrail (my eyesight is failing and I have no depth perception...so walking down steps is really hard unless there is a handrail or I walk with someone).

Lourdes...do you know the art historian(s) who do this tour? perhaps they would do a private one with me where we hop the bus? I want to learn more about this building. I understand Brunelleschi studied it and the Baptistery. Plus the tour description ....

"Mysteries and symbols inhabit this sacred space, built following celestial rules and connections. We will enter a space where time and death loose their power, as we can read in the inscription on the carpet of inlaid marble. A space where christian, pagan, islamic and oriental art are living together in a dimension that took shape one thousand years ago and still exists."

PS: the Vesper would work if I sit behind the driver. With my eyesight I sure wouldn't trust myself driving! lol

So I will continue to follow here as I'm returning to Florence!
Grazie mille y hasta luego!
Suzanne

I hope you manage to return! I've been here for YEARS and I still continue to learn new things about Florence ;-).

For sure, the Vespa tours can be done behind a driver, if you want to try some adventure. You don't have to drive.

If you want a private tour, I suggest you contact some friends directly who are licensed guides and check on availability - make sure to tell them I sent you ;)
Elena Fulceri - Florence with Flair - elena@florenceguide.net
Alexandra Lawrence - exploreflorence@gmail.com
Paola Vojnovic - paola50122@gmail.com

Enjoy Rome, that's another wonderful place to spend some time in!