children's day camps in Florence

ajcuda

We're an American family staying in Florence for the month of June. We're looking for some viable options for day-camp activities for our two boys, 7 and 9. These can be part day or full day. The boys don't speak Italian, but they want to learn it! Can anyone help with recommendations? Lourdes Flores, I'm not sure if this is your area of expertise or not. I'd be grateful for your advice! I speak Italian, but my wife and kiddos do not.
Best,
Tony Cuda

Ciao Tony!

Welcome to our forum :) We have lots of experience in tourism related as well as not, being locals and all ;-).
As far as day camps, do you want full immersion in Italian or English language day camps that will have many Italian kids participating?

For English-based ones, the first that come to mind are these:
Canadian Island - www.canadianisland.it - they have a variety of camps for June and July so you should find something if you want them to go to an English camp but with lots of local kids, so they can pick up Italian from the kids. Maria and Lucia organize the camps just outside of Florence, they bus them out and back in as well as have camps that are overnight.
We haven't done these but my girl went to their nursery school so I know them from that side of things.

Inglese for You - https://www.ingleseforyou.com/ - same principle, English camps for locals so lots of Italian speaking kids. My friend Jonnel runs the camps and am sure they would have fun. They are run out in Bagno a Ripoli.

Then there are the normal full immersion camps in Italian - here you have a variety of choices, especially on their interests.
Considering they are boys and you might want them to be outdoors a lot to use up their energy - like I do for my girl ;) - you could go for the camp run at the Atletica stadium in Campo di Marte. It organizes weekly day camps so you can register by the week. You can find more info in Italian here: http://www.firenzeatletica.it/index.php?lang=It&pag=centriestivihome
(like I said, my 5 year old will go here again this summer).

Lots of other summer camps, from art camps to dance camps to sport-specific camps (which are for fun, not competitive). Take a look at those and tell me what you think, whether you're looking for something more specific and I can help you look.