Is it okay to bring gold to have jewelry made?

ErinS

Hi,
My Mom gave me some gold from an old ring she had melted down. Would it be acceptable to bring the gold to Florence and pay a goldsmith to make a ring for me? I know that they generally buy the gold they use and I don't want to eat into their profit margin.

Thanks in advance!
Erin

Gold in Florence

Buongiorno,

If you find someone to re-work your gold, rest assured that the price they give you will include enough profit. They charge accordingly: one price if you have your own gold and another if they have to provide it for your special order.

A word of caution, Italians are used to working with 18K gold and normally abroad, gold is in an inferior mix - 14K being the most common - but with rings, which take a beating and need to be a bit tougher, you can find 12K or less.

I have had jewelry re-worked before and you may find that the Florentines balk a bit at dealing with lesser grade gold or gold of an unknown source.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

I think it's possible, I can give you a page and an email to check this possibility: https://www.jeansaade.com/en/ Tel. +39 055 238 2068 - info@jeansaade.com They are really excellent in Florentine Style and they speak a good english so that you can ask anything directly to them.

Last edited by a moderator: