Should we climb the bell tower or duomo?

jrnelson627

Hi,

We have limited time in Florence. I want to climb either the bell tower or the duomo....which would you recommend? We're fine with heights and tight quarters. Do they have similar views? I believe I'v read that the duomo requires a reservation. Does the bell tower? Thanks!

The dome does require a reservation for a specific time to go up, while the tower doesn't. They are both about the same steps and height. There is only one ticket/pass that covers both climbs -- so once you're here in Florence, go and get your ticket and ask at the office whether they have open time slots for the Duomo. If they do and it works for your schedule (since you have limited time), then climb up the Duomo, it is the more classic and you get a chance to walk up close to the the frescoes inside the dome, they are pretty neat. So I'd recommend the duomo as a first choice.

If there are no time slots or they don't work with your schedule, then do the bell tower - it is a different view because you get to see the dome from up high, it is pretty neat. The views in general are more or less similar once you're up there, but I also really like seeing the dome from up high.

If you have the time, you could do both! :D

The new passes they have come up with make it that the climb up the Duomo can only by done with the full pass, the Brunelleschi one, so that even if you don't want to visit the other sites you still need that pass. If you have the time, since the pass lasts 3 days, I suggest you try to go back and visit the other sites as well. The baptistery and museum are worth it, and the belltower offers a different viewpoint that includes the dome, so it's pretty spectacular as well. It does mean a lot of climbing though, so on different days for sure!