Tram from Florence to the Airport

Uomo Grasso

I read recently that the tram running between Florence and the airport has opened or is opening soon. Can anyone provide clear information about this?

It opened this past Monday, here's my post with more info on the basics on the line itself and how it works:
https://www.visitflorence.com/blog/tram-line-t2-open/

From the 25th, it won't be free anymore. Will you be back in Tuscany any time soon or this month?

Thanks for the informative article, Lourdes. This is going to make it so much easier, and less expensive, to get from the airport into Florence!
At the moment I'm not certain when we will be back there. Hopefully soon!!! I'm looking forward to giving the new line a try...

Yes, it should make moving from the airport downtown easier, faster and cheaper!

Although the local government is considering adding a 3 euro extra charge to anyone that gets on and off at the Peretola stop.... to essentially get some more $ from travelers, of course. It isn't a certainty yet but they are talking about it and HOW to do it, so it might take some time before it happens.

I just know that the taxi companies are not happy about the new tram stop at Peretola at all, they were profiting from airport rides into the center with high rates but it's a good thing!

I am going to go ride the new line next week just to see how it is, with no idea of going anywhere but just to try it :D I'll make sure to add any new info on the site and blog post to share the info.

Well, I guess it's no surprise that those in charge of such things would like to generate some additional revenue from tourists. Oh, well. At least it's another option for transport to and from the airport.
It will be good to hear about your experience after you have ridden the new line. Thanks, again, for your vigilance at keeping the community up to date!
:eek:

At the moment, however, even the major is emphasizing that the cost to the airport is just €1,50 --- so trying to reassure and encouraging people to use the tram.

I went today to try it out, it does take about 22 minutes and it's great, because the tram stop is right outside to the left as you exit the Arrivals section of the airport. There is ample space for luggage and it will be super easy to reach downtown. There are ticket machines right on the ramp before you get on the tram, so it will be easy to get tickets at any time :D. I will be writing more about the tram service in Florence soon to share all the details one needs to know before getting on.