(ZTL again) Help returning a rental to Borgo Ognissanti 128

Yenemy

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out a way to get our rental car back to Borgo Ognissanti without running afoul of the ZTL. I can see potentially two ways from where we are, but no idea if either will actually work.

We're staying south of the river, here:

Dropped pin
Near Via Cardinale Leopoldo, 62, 50124 Firenze FI, Italy
https://maps.app.goo.gl/o9ETK3KkmGcZZQbU8

The first would be to approach the ZTL from the West; circle West to Soffiano, head up SS67 and try to get into Via Il Prato from there. Once I can get eastbound on via il Prato it looks like I can take via curtatone to via Montebello, then via di melegnano one block before turning left onto Borgo Ognissanti. I just can't figure out how to get onto Via Il Prato eastbound from SS67!

The second way would be to try to get onto ponte Alla carraia which drops you right onto Borgo Ognissanti from the roundabout. This seems simpler, but I'd need to traverse a large area of ZTL South of the river, which seems.... worse.

I'm going to call my rental car company as well this morning, and see if I can confirm directions and/or get a temporary exemption for the return, but they have not been super communicative; I think they are slammed by customers as soon as they open.

Thank you so much in advance!

Any help at all would be appreciated!

ZTL again

We drove a hire car into the Hertz depot back in July. Now back home 3 months later have just received a fine for entering the ZTL.

On checking up I found this message on the Visit Florence website:

"Car rental agencies communicate your license plate upon your return into the ZTL so that is placed on the "white list" and you are not fined later for having entered the ZTL area when the light is red. Just make sure to double check that they do it...."

Well if correct this didn't happen and we didn't check. Perhaps Visit Florence could advise whether the quoted information above is correct?

JohnAnn

Ciao John,

The information is correct --- if your car rental agency is within the ZTL and they carry out the proper procedures to make sure your rental time/license is in fact put on the white list.

The main problem is that there are several rental places in the ZTL and several right on the border, so you can get to them WITHOUT going into the ZTL area. These have in fact have started to not do any white listing, as you don't have to go into the ZTL to reach them. Without knowing what path of streets you took to reach them upon returning a car, it is up to the customer to say something. But if you didn't even realize it, maybe you didn't say anything! This is where the majority of visitors get into trouble.

Ciao Yenemy,

I understand your difficulty, because Google definitely cannot be trusted since it does take the ZTL into consideration when showing routes.

I've mapped out the route you should take on Google Maps - here's the link
https://goo.gl/maps/7o5FMrkPQYCUBZ5M9

You actually cannot go on Via Senese towards Porta Romana (although you can do it in the opposite direction) since it is a reserved lane for buses and taxis --- you will see these on the road and not realize it. So while you're in Florence, keep this in mind whenever you drive to your rental as you do not want to take via Senese toward the center, the risk is more fines.

Then you need to go around the historical center, toward Piazza della Vittoria, from there turn right immediately after the bridge over the Arno as it is the only way to get onto Via il Prato.... and from there you have the map indicates the way to go around and NOT go into the ZTL area. If you keep going along the Arno, there is a ZTL camera 2 times on Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci, so make sure to follow the path I've outlined in the map linked above. Good luck and enjoy your time in Florence!