Visit to museums on first Sunday of month

MjB

My family are coming to Florence next weekend which we have found coincides with free entry to the Uffici and Galeria. Is it likely to be busy? Should we risk attending on Sunday or would you recommend pre booking on Saturday. One guest has limited ability to stand/walk for long distances. Also any other top tips for events/things to do Saturday to Monday?

Free Sunday

Buongiorno,

I know that free Sundays sound wonderful - but there is ALWAYS a line to get into the monuments unless you get there super early. And it is forecasted to be way too cold for standing in line that early.

One may think that there aren't a lot of tourists now because this is the low season, but in this period of the year, between the 23 of Dec till the 6th of January, there will be lots and lots of Italian tourists around.

I would suggest booking your entrance (always!)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

The Uffizi is the only museum that has ticket stubs with numbers on them and a time to enter used just on FREE days so you can head there early, grab tickets for your group and then return when it says to return. No need to wait in line for hours! But this only applies for the Uffizi. And tickets go fast so definitely try to get there early to pick up tickets. One person can get up to 4 numbers, so if you're more than 4, head with someone else to pick them up.

I would suggest doing the Accademia on Saturday if possible - you will enjoy it more. Those two museums are the busiest, so you can definitely try other museums on Sunday, such as the Bargello and the Pitti Palace, for free entrance.

As for MONDAY, the 6th - it is the Epiphany so even if crowded, try to set yourself up along the streets between Palazzo Pitti and Palazzo Vecchio or from there to the Duomo to see the Cavalcade of the Magi: the 3 kings pass on horseback with their entire entourage as they make their way to the front of the cathedral and take their gifts to the "life" Nativity on that day (the terracotta statues are replaced on that day).
Check out more details here: https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-events/cavalcade-magi.html

Enjoy Florence during these last few days of the "holiday" season!