Tues 26th - Sat 30th April

Jono

Hello,

I will be travelling to Florence on the 26th, arriving about Lunchtime and leaving at 6pm ish on the 30th.
We'll have to be out of our apartment by 12:00 on the 30th, but still wish to wander around for a few hours before we need to check in for our flight...

I understand there are some baggage storage facilities at bus/train stations, but how are they operated, are they manned/secure? How much would they cost for ~6 hours?

Thanks, probably more questions to come.

Jono.

baggage storage facilities

Hello Jono,
welcome to DT forum!

There are places for lugagge storage in any major station.

It is not clear to me if you're leaving from Santa Maria Novella (Florence's main railway station) to reach the airport. If so, you can have a look here.

As far as I know, there are no places for luggage storage in smaller train stations (Campo di Marte and Rifredi).

As you can read in the website link above, the office is open every day of the week from 6 a.m. to midnight and the cost is very affordable. Moreover it is manned and secure since it is overseen by the police.

Hope this helps :)

Kind regards

Fabrizio

Ciao Jono,

I also don't recall any baggage storage facilities at the secondary train stations in Florence - only at SMN. It is very secure to leave your baggage there, and once you're ready to leave to the airport (assuming it is the Florence airport), you could take the "Vola in Bus" shuttle that leaves from the train station to the airport. It takes 30-40 min depending on traffic and costs 5 euro per person.

Feel free to post any other questions you might have; we'll try to offer our suggestions and help as much as we can ;).

Hi, Thank you for the reply - sorry I didn't respond earlier.

Slight change of plan... I still have a flight to Florence - Girlfriend is now ex-girlfriend. She's not going to Florence anymore... Can't get a refund on the flights, but she'd booked the accommodation, and has now cancelled it.

Can you suggest anywhere/one that might have some reasonably priced accommodation for one person...

I don't know if I should just bin the whole idea. Such a shame.

:(

OH SO SORRY to hear that! :(

I think you should still come - Florence is a great city for the solo traveler and there is a lot to see!

As for a place to stay, since it is next week I recommend you look at Florence Accommodation.com and in particular at the hotels with online booking so that you can book soon. You can plug in the dates and then play with the features to see hotels with availability for single use and by budget. Despite the situation, I hope you enjoy your trip to Italy - it will be a good change from the routine. Take care!

Hmmm not sure I can afford a hotel now... don't suppose anyone has a garden I can sleep in do they? :)

budget hotels.... interested in hostels?

LOL! I am not sure a garden would be the best as a few showers are in the weather forecast for the start of the week, although let's hope they're wrong! There are some budget hotels on the booking.com site but you could also look into hostels, would you like a few suggestions? I think a search on google would help in that regard -- near San Lorenzo, you could try this quite affordable hotel.