travelling from Pisa to Florence

mairziedotes

I'm flying into Pisa on Easter Saturday and have no idea how to get to Florence. It's my husband's 50th birthday and its a surprise - might even be a shock if we can't get to florence. Can anyone help??

train and bus take you directly from Pisa airport to Florence SMN

Ciao mairziedotes!

It will definitely be a very nice birthday surprise and hope you both have a great time!

Do not worry, the easiest way to get to Florence from the Pisa Airport is with the train... once at the airport, follow the signs to the train stop outside. Most trains take you into "Pisa Centrale", Pisa's main train station, and from there you have to change trains to head to Florence S.M.N. (Santa Maria Novella), Florence's main train station. In about an hour, you're in Florence. The ticket costs around 5 euro. You can see the train timetable here. Trains are regional and seats are open to first come, first served basis - so you just buy your tickets at the counter before getting on.

Another option would be to take a bus from the Pisa airport to Florence. I know that Terravision goes to the SMN train station first and then to the Florence airport so you could look into that as another option. Maybe look at both and their time tables and decide which is more convenient based on your arrival time in Pisa - hope you can get into Florence in time to see the Scoppio del Carro! :)

Ciao Lourdes

Grazzi for your quick reply. I will look into both the train and the bus. I know my husband is going to be delighted with his surprise. Maybe when its my 50th we can come back ciao xx

2 days in Florence

Hi again I wasn't sure how to start a new thread so i've continued this one. What do you think are the best things to see in Florence in 2 days? It will be Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. We are staying at the Hotel Delle Nazioni. Can you recommend a good restaurant nearby?
Molto Grazzi
Oh and I'm trying to learn a bit of Italian - quickly!!

Not a problem! If you head back to the Florence subforum, there is a blue button towards the top below the hotel search box that says "new thread".... In any case, there is no problem in continuing your previous questions about Florence on this thread.

First, take a look at this article suggesting an itinerary for 2 days in Florence. There is a lot to see in Florence so you'll likely not do everything. Just take it easy and walk around and do what you feel like - visit a museum or sit at a cafe and watch people walk by, walk around enjoying a slow "passeggiata" with a gelato in one hand. Go up to Piazzale Michelangelo and enjoy the view. Plus you're arriving on a holiday - the main event in Florence takes place Sunday morning, mass and procession, the Explosion of the Cart and its fireworks. Some museums that normally are closed on Monday will remain open on Easter Monday since lots of visitors are expected.

Your hotel is very central right next to the train station - a very good restaurant we recommend for you to try the bistecca Fiorentina or Florentine steak is at Buca Lapi, a somewhat hidden restaurant located in the basement of the Palazzo Antinori on Via Tornabuoni (as you face the palazzo, take the small street to the right that heads to Santa Maria Novella square; a few steps and the entrance is on the left). Highly recommend you head there for one of your dinners to celebrate your husband's birthday, it will be a treat.

Buon divertimento!! :)