Week in Tuscany

u7mg0

Planning a week in May 2012. There will be about 12 of us. We are thinking of staying in Sienna. is this the most centrally located place? this will be a trip of food and wine, with some siteseeing.

We are looking for an elegant Villa to accomodate 12-14. i have done searches but have not found one as of yet. We are willing to spend $15,000 to $19,000US for the week. we also want a chef for breakfast and dinners. is this usually done as an extra or do villas sometimes have a resident chef.

we also will be doing winery visits to Chianti and Montalcino. but i will focus on those later.

thanks for any suggestions/help

mark

Week in Tuscany (reply)

Hello u7mg0,
I am sure if you start looking for accommodation so far in advance, you'll certainly find the villa that fits your needs.

If this is a trip of food, wine and siteseeing, then Siena or the nearby Chianti region will be the perfect places for you!

If you visit our website specialized in finding accommodation in Tuscany and define your search criteria (city, geographic area, type of property) you can find any kind of villas and read their descriptions.

As for the resident chef, it depends of the villa. Anyhow through the website I've just recommend you to visit, you can contact the property owner/manager directly.
You can ask for an estimate and maybe they will also discount their usual rates, since you're 12-14 of people.

Hope this helps!

Good luck

Last edited:
Ciao Mark,

Siena is a good central location but Tuscany is not that big so your area for searching is really quite wide - anywhere in Chianti, to the northwest to Castelfiorentino and Certaldo, San Gimignano and Volterra to the west and Buonconvento to the south. Even Arezzo to the east is still a possibility, since you'd be close to the A1 and the Siena road that would make crossing westward easy. You'd still be really centrally located for day trips all over (the only areas further away would be Pisa and Lucca).

In particular, take a look at these three villas in the Chianti and Volterra area that would be perfect for your group. They all offer a chef upon request - you should contact the villas and ask for more precise estimates.

Near Castelfiorentino - Cabbiavoli
Near Volterra - Villa di Ulignano
Near Gambassi Terme - Villa Piaggia

Hi Lourdes
We just booked an apartment in Sarteano for one week in the end of may. We will be traveling by car. We want to visit Montepulciano, Pienza, Abbaza di San Galgano, Siena, Firenze, Cortona and may be Perugia. Any advices about these cities? And I was wondering about one day in Roma with train?

Thank you in advance!

Ciao Moiche,

All of the cities you list are among the top recommended must-see destinations in Tuscany so I cannot find any problems with your itinerary so far. The Abbazia di San Galgano is definitely beautiful but kind of out of the way from the other places you plan on visiting.... so I'm not sure if I'd really recommend just heading there to see that.... if you were planning to be in the area, definitely... maybe head toward Massa Marittima and a day in Maremma, at the Tuscan coast, that way you can pass through San Galgano on the way there or back.

Even Perugia is doable because you are really close to the border with Umbria. The only one that I won't recommend as a day trip is Rome - the "eternal city" is dense with sights and you won't be able to see much in a day without feeling in rushed, feeling you didn't see as much as you wanted. I'd recommend 2-3 days in Rome if you really want to see and experience it, maybe at the end of your week, if you have time? or at the beginning? do you fly into Rome?

Ciao Lourdes,
Many thanks for your answer. Maybe Rome will be our next destination for several days. But now it's time for Toscana and I can't wait :)

Totally agree - focus on Tuscany and you'll enjoy what you see in the time you have... then move on to Rome as your next destination to give it all your time, you'll be able to enjoy each to the fullest!

I'm sure you'll love it - have fun!!