Renting a Car in Tuscany

foxrobandsue

A group of Canadians have rented a villa just outside Volterra for the month of October. We are flying into Pisa airport on Oct. 1 and leaving on Oct. 29. Is it easy to rent a car at the airport? What is the easiest way to get to Volterra from Pisa by car? Anything else we should know would be appreciated.
rob

rent a car at Pisa airport

Ciao Rob!

At the Pisa airport you can find several car rental agencies, that you can find in a dedicated terminal. Outside the Arrival terminal you can also find a bus that drives directy to the car rental area.

I suggest you to book your car before you arrive to Pisa, so you don't have to waste time once you're just landed in Tuscany.

Autoeurope is one of the well-known car rental agencies. Through its website you can book online the car you prefer and pick it up at the Pisa airport.

To drive from Pisa airport until to Volterra you have two alternatives:

1 - Take the "Strada Grande Comunicazione Firenze-Pisa-Livorno" until Pontedera and from here take the SS 439/SR439 road until Volterra

2- Take the autostrada A12 (motorway) toward Rosignano until the exit of Cecina nord and then take the SR68 road until Volterra.

I would probably prefer the first choice, but both requires more or less the same time. The first infact is shorter in terms of distance but the second suggesting to take the motorway allows you to drive faster.

I love Volterra: good choice!