Tuscany for 2 weeks at beginning of September.

ho123b

Hi there,

I am looking for some help and advice. This will be me and my girlfriends first trip to Italy and we think Tuscany will be a perfect place for a romantic trip to explore and unwind from the rat race of London.

The problem is that we're overwhelmed with information! We are planning to hire a car and hence see all the small villages etc....In terms of areas to stay perhaps a province outside of Sienna - but which one - San Gimignano/Pienza etc etc?? We have seen a lovely place in Cetona but not sure if this is a good location - I was told this also gives us the ability to go to Umbria and Lazio.

We are willing to do a week in one location and week elsewhere.....

Basically we want to have some serenity but the ability to do lots of day trips to engross ourselves in the cultural delights!

Please help!

Thanks!

Howie

2 Weeks Itinerary in Tuscany

Welcome to our Forum Howie!
We are very happy to give some advice :)

Tuscany is really the perfect place for a romantic escape, especially if you are visiting it for the first time!
You’ll find that it is a beautiful and fantastic region always full of surprises!

Renting a car is actually the best way to move around Tuscany and explore the region at its best. Here you can find useful information about car rentals in Tuscany.

The area you are talking about, that stretches down to the south of Siena and also includes Cetona, is the wonderful Val d’Orcia region, probably the most beautiful part of Tuscany;)

It’s an amazing place characterized by vast natural landscapes and enchanting sceneries, with avenues of cypress trees, soft undulating hills, isolated rural homes, medieval hilltop villages, castles, fortresses and much more!
That’s the Tuscany you can see on postcards :)

That’s the land of the famous and beautiful villages of Montalcino, renowned all over the world for its Brunello wine, the Renaissance city of Pienza, the fortified Radicofani, and the impressive Montepulciano. You really should visit all these lovely villages including Siena and the walled city of Monteriggioni.

While in Valdorcia, you can also conveniently reach Umbria and Lazio and visit the lovely villages on the Lake Trasimeno, Cortona, Orvieto, and Perugia.

You may spend a whole week in Valdorcia, where I highly recommend the beautiful farmhouse Podere Cunina, a carefully restored agriturismo in typical Tuscan style, offering all modern facilities, like air conditioning. The setting of the farmhouse is fantastic!

I suggest you pass the other week of your holiday in the wonderful Chianti area to the north of Siena, near Florence. Chianti, that cannot be missed from any Tuscan itinerary, is another wonderful area of Tuscany, universally renowned for its high quality wine production: the superb Chianti Classico.

I suggest you base yourself in a beautiful farmhouse or agriturismo in Chianti, from which you can depart to make a lot of day trips to visit many art cities like Florence, San Gimignano, Volterra, Pisa and Lucca. Chianti itself is a region to explore!
The medieval hilltop villages of Castellina, Greve, Radda, and Gaiole in Chianti are not to be missed! Here is a useful guide about all you need to know about the area, including suggested itineraries and wine tours.

Near Castellina, I recommend two beautiful properties: Romitorio di Serelle and Il Cellese both offering accommodation in delithful apartments.
While, if you prefer to stay in Greve in Chianti, I suggest Fattoria Viticcio, that is also a winery, so you could make some wine tasting :)

Hope this is helpful.

Do not hesitate to contact us again for any further suggestion you may need :)
Ciao from Florence!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the quick response and fantastic advice.

A week in Valdorcia and a week in Chianti sounds perfect. We're super excited to do some further research!

I'll no doubt have some further questions for you.

Howie

Greve in Chianti Wine Festival

Dear Howie,
You are welcome!

We’ll be happy to answer any question you may have ;)
Feel free to come back at anytime!

The dates of the wine festival in Greve in Chianti are not fixed yet,
but the event should be absolutely included in your itinerary :)

That’s an extraordinary event all dedicated to food and wine, with music, spectacles and lovely markets!

Enjoy planning your super Tuscan trip :)