advice for trip in august

vwluke

hi. me and my wife will be visiting tuscany for our honeymoon at the end of august and early september. we fly to pisa and will be getting a train to lucca where we stay 1 night (i think) then we are going to florence for 3 nights. after that we travel to siena for 5 nights when we are there we would like to visit as many places as possible including voltera and montepuiciano probably for the bravio della botti on the 28th august.

can we get to these places easily without a car?

can you sugest any other places to visit and any companies that do day trips from siena as we want to avoid having a hire car.

finaly do you think we would be better having a car to see more of the real tuscany??

look forward to your advice
many thanks

luke

August Itinerary: Day Trips from Siena

Welcome to the Forum Luke!
Tuscany is a beautiful place, perfect to pass a very special honeymoon :)

If you stick to main towns like Florence, Siena and Pisa you can comfortably move by train.
This is the official website to check trains’ schedules and fares.

The fantastic hilltop towns like Volterra, Montalcino and Montepulciano, however, cannot be easily reached using public transport.

The best way to tour the region and experience the “real” Tuscany would be by renting a car, that will allow you to admire wonderful countryside landscapes and appreciate the less known corners of Tuscany.

If you prefer to not hiring a car and not having to worry about driving, then I suggest two very good options, ideal to make day trips to many beautiful places while in Siena.

The first possibility is to book professional tour guides in Siena; here you can find the website of the official tour guides for Siena and province, offering many interesting thematic tours such as Chianti wine tours, Volterra, Montalcino and Valdorcia tours.
There are also day trips and tours to many other wonderful places, such as the medieval towns of San Gimignano and Vinci (the birthplace of the famous Leonardo da Vinci), that we highly recommend visiting.

In addition, we also suggest Vinarium, a good local agency organizing several nice tours, especially wine tours and cooking classes, also starting from Siena.

Montepulciano is a must visit, probably one, if not, the most beautiful hill top town in the scenic Val d’Orcia region south of Tuscany. Strolling through its alleys and medieval streets is a real delight, and the Bravio delle Botti is an original and exiting event, not to be missed!

Finally, in case you also need our suggestions on where to stay, please get back to us with more details and we’ll be happy to help you.

In the meantime, you can have a look at these listings of selected properties and farmhouses all around Tuscany.

We remain at your disposal for any further help or suggestion needed!

Enjoy planning your Tuscan experience ;)