Easter 2012

robtsmx

Hi
i am thinking of visiting tuscany during easter, from maybe the 7th of april.
Easter is early this time, and some of the posts suggest that the tourism season starts mid to late april.
Are we likely to find some areas closed ??
Thanks
robtsmx

Ciao Robysmx,

Don't worry, the region doesn't close down during the low season! While there are less visitors in this period, the start of spring and warmer weather just means the numbers increase. It really depends on whether you had your heart set on going to the beach or to the seaside - while you won't find ghost towns, many establishments (residences and hotels) along the coast and on Elba do close down for the low season just because the weather doesn't bring many visitors then. The large number of hotels just are not needed in that season, there are some that do remain open year round in any case. Restaurants do remain open, as locals are present year round regardless.

As you look around on where you want to go, you'll find the websites of hotels will give dates if they are closed at any point during the year. For example, you won't find any closed in Florence in the low season - there are still lots of visitors around :)

Do you have an itinerary in mind? That way we can offer concrete ideas whether you're headed to a place where you do have to worry about something being closed.... but practically everything should be open and operating as usual (although many places do close down on Easter Sunday and Monday, but I'm referring to stores or museums - not restaurants or hotels/b&bs etc)

Hello robtsmx,

I agree with Lourdes. Restaurants are open all year round as well as city hotels. Furthermore I work for an Agriturismo (apartments rental in restored Tuscan farmhouses) that is merely seasonal but we will be already open at the end of March.
I hope you will enjoy you trip to Tuscany!

Best,

Lisa

As Lisa mentioned, many farmhouses also close for the winter but will definitely re-open by spring and all are open for Easter :) You'll find Tuscany in spring is beautiful.