Getting to Chianti from Rome??

JenDarling3

Hello,

I am trying to make some plans for my honeymoon in June 2012. We fly into Rome and I was wondering what would be the best / easiest / quickest way to get to Chianti? We would like to stay in Gaiole in Chianti.

I was thinking if we were to rent a car from the airport in Rome this would allow us to both travel to Gaiole and then tour the area while we stay there. Or would you think the drive would be too long or too hard??
Would getting a train to a different and closer location, and then picking up a car be a better idea do you think?

Any advice would be great, because the area looks fabulous and I would really like to visit! (And enjoy some yummy wine!!)

Many thanks,

Jen

Ciao Jen and Happy New Year!! Congrats on the upcoming wedding, too!

Chianti - and Tuscany - is a great place for enjoying lots of good wine AND food! It is also very romantic, so you'll both definitely enjoy your honeymoon here :)

If you're arriving into Rome and then coming up to Tuscany/Chianti without actually going into the city of Rome, renting a car at the airport makes the most sense. If you're basing most of your stay in Chianti to see most of Tuscany, we do recommend you have your own means of transportation to get around. Chianti isn't the easiest place to visit using solely public transportation.

You could also take the train from Rome airport into Rome Termini (central train station in Rome) and then from there go to Chiusi or Arezzo, for example, and rent a car from there.... but I think it would be more complicated and more time-consuming in the end than driving from the Rome airport. As long as you don't drive into Rome city, driving out of Rome by just circumventing the city and then taking the A1 highway should not be too complicated.

So we definitely vote for the car rental from the Rome airport - you can do a car rental search on here
just to get you started since Auto Europe lets you see all major international companies in one place (without telling you which one you're getting until you reserve). In any case, it is useful when doing your preliminary searches and trying to decide what and when -- also consider that most cars are manual transmissions, so if you can only drive automatic, make sure to check that box to the left as you "refine your search".

Hope this is useful - feel free to post any other questions you might have!
In the meantime, hope the wedding planning is going well :)

Hi there! I have a piano moving Springdale service here in Ontario but planning to move to Rome. Is there any suggestion of place which you think can be a best location for business? Many thanks!