easter 2012 Tuscany

albert

Good day; we are a family of 5 with kids 9-15 years and will spend Easter 2012 in Tuscany on a farm in Reggello. We have rented a car and need advice on an itinerary. Keep in mind that it is Easter. We want to absorb Tuscany and not rush from A to B . My thought was to depart the 1st morning (6 april) to Pisa and then see/have lunch in Lucca . the 2nd day spend the day in Florence. And the 3rd day the 8th we have to go back to Rome but have the whole day to sightsee and my thought was to take a slow drive back and see towns like Siena and maybe others - suggestions?
regards Albert

Ciao Albert,

Yes, that's Easter weekend and it's really too bad you have to head back down right on Easter Sunday because it would be a great day to spend in Florence. There is a special, centuries old tradition for Easter that involves a parade in historical costume, a large wooden cart pulled by oxen to the front of the cathedral and then a flying mechanical dove that flies out of the cathedral and lights up the fireworks in the cart.
I'll admit it is pretty spectacular although the area gets pretty crowded.

In any case, your itinerary for each day sounds good. On your last day, I'd also recommend you do the slow drive and stop along the way. Siena likely requires half a day, you could have lunch there and then I'd recommend taking the SS2 road known as the "Via Cassia" from Siena through the Valdorcia area in southern Tuscany - you can stop in San Quirico or Pienza, it is a beautiful area with the Tuscan landscapes you often see in postcards. As you cross the valley, you're heading back toward the A1 which you'll take to head back down to Rome.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask! :) Hope your whole family enjoys Tuscany!

Ciao Albert,

"Yes, that's Easter weekend and it's really too bad you have to head back down right on Easter Sunday because it would be a great day to spend in Florence. There is a special, centuries old tradition for Easter that involves a parade in historical costume, a large wooden cart pulled by oxen to the front of the cathedral and then a flying mechanical dove that flies out of the cathedral and lights up the fireworks in the cart.
I'll admit it is pretty spectacular although the area gets pretty crowded."

We will also be in Tuscany - Montise(?spelling?) on Easter Sunday & Monday. Will restaurants be open on Sunday? Will they close early, we won't arrive from Rome until 5 or 6 PM? How about Monday? Will the outlets outside of Firenze be open?

Thanks

Last edited:
Outlets will be closed on Easter Sunday

Ciao ldinct,

Generally, most restaurants do remain open on Easter Sunday and Monday, generally taking turns and closing on one of the days. So you will find some open and some closed.
I am not sure where you'll be spending your Easter in Tuscany - but if it is small, you might have a harder time in finding something open there and might have to go to another bigger village nearby. Many restaurants are along roads - if you see them open with lights and cars in the parking lot, take advantage. These are some of the places where you can get the best local cuisine ;)

I checked the various outlets nearby...
The Mall will be closed on April 8 but will be open the day after.
So will Barberino Designer Outlet but it will be open on Monday from 2-8pm.
The Valdichiana Outlet Village, closer to Arezzo, might be open but it isn't clear from their website. I'll try to investigate and see if I find a clear answer... since it is along the A1 as you come up from Rome, if it is open it would be a good place to stop on Sunday (if they're open, so will the restaurants there).