Help needed to plan for a short 2 day self-drive itinerary

VikTheRam

Having read through some of the posts in this forum - it seems the right place to ask for help on the above.

We are 2 couples travelling from India and planning our first trip to Italy. We plan to start our holiday with 3 days Rome and end it with 2 days in Venice. We are planning to rent a car at the end of our 3 days in Rome and drive out towards Venice and would love to stop and visit Florence, Pisa & experience Tuscany during this journey, unfortunately we are a bit short on time.

Our plan is to leave on Sunday morning from Rome and get to Venice by Tuesday evening. In between the two, ideally we would like to base ourselves for 2 nights (Sunday & Monday) at a location from where we can accomplish our visit to Florence and Pisa and perhaps also get a taste of the Tuscany life.

Some additional information regarding our preferences:
We are not very interested in visiting the museums in Florence but rather look forward to exploring the city itself, enjoying its fine cuisine and generally experiencing the character of the city. Neither are we too interested in wine-tasting explorations but would rather like to drive and see the beautiful vistas and scenic routes nearby.

We would love any suggestions to help us plan out our visit.

Chianti would be a great location for a base of two days

Ciao ViktheRam and welcome to our forum!

I am assuming you fly into Rome but will fly out of Venice, correct? That way you don't have to worry about driving back to Rome at the end of your week.

Sunday through Tuesday is not a lot of time to spend in Tuscany but it is definitely doable. Plus, if you really like it you can always come back and spend more time here :)

I think the best area for you would be out of Florence but close enough to drive in and spend a day there. You can see a lot just by walking around the city, the historical center is really small and walkable and basically an open-air museum.

So the best area for you would be the Chianti area - take a look at the places you could stay at in Chianti.

Since you're planning on only two nights, I'd recommend a B&B or hotel (other types require longer stays). I highly recommend Palazzo Malaspina as well as Relais Poggio Borgoni - both are located in the countryside so would be perfect starting points to go see Florence on one day, driving through the area, and on the other go toward Pisa. Take the smaller roads so that you can see and enjoy more of the beautiful Tuscan countryside you'll be driving through!