A week in Tuscany in August

Anuj

My wife and I intend to visit Tuscany for a week in August. We very keen to go to places of history/culture and also chill at a relaxed beautiful sandy beach for 2 days. We open to travelling by train or car so would look forward to recommendations of places we must visit in this week. Am thinking Florence, Lucca, Pisa, Elba and maybe Maremma. Though not sure if Elba is the best beach place for both relaxation, music and fun

Ciao Anuj,

Keep in mind August is high season in Tuscany - so you'll definitely have to decide on an itineray ahead of time and book your hotel/b&b before heading here so that you won't be stranded without a place to stay :).

Having said that, a car is definitely recommended to visit Elba and Maremma, while Florence, Pisa and Lucca can be easily reached by train. Elba definitely has great beaches - but expect crowds in August. You can definitely still get relaxation and fun but make sure you stay at a nice hotel/resort with their own private beach so that crowds are limited. I'd suggest you look into this particularly charming boutique hotel on Elba -
it is set in a beautiful corner of the island and its small size guarantees relaxation.
To get to Elba requires a few hours, then to relax and all.... I'd say you'd have to dedicate at least 3 days to the trip out to the island so that might not make it possible to also fit in Maremma but it's possible. Are you flying into Rome or Pisa or Florence? Maremma is in southern Tuscany so you could theoretically do it if you're heading back down to Rome at the end of your week. I highly recommend the beaches between Castiglione della Pescaia and Marina di Alberese although if you've done Elba by then, I'd suggest to visit other places in Maremma other than the beach, such as the Monte Argentario or inland toward the beautiful Pitigliano and Sorano.