4 days in Tuscany.

vellsud

Hello,

I am planning our honeymoon in Tuscany. We are going to rent a car from Bologna airport and then go to Maranello and will be spending 4 whole days in Tuscany and then go back to Bologna. It is going to be from end October to beginning of November.

I would like to visit Lucca, Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano, Chianti, Val d'Orcia, Florence.

These are my questions:
Is it possible to fit them all?
Is it better to stay in one hotel? And if yes, which place would be in the middle of these? Or it is better to change hotel every day?
Where can I find a beautiful, free entrance thermal bath?
Which is the best road to take to see the mountains?

Thank You

Of course you can fit them all!
You can take one or max two days for Lucca and Pisa, and leave the other days for Siena, San Gimignano and the Chianti region. In my opinion you better stay in Florence, that is in between Lucca Pisa and Siena and is very well served by trains and shuttles to the other cities of Tuscany.
You easily reach Pisa and Lucca by train (http://www.trenitalia.com/). For Siena I recommend the bus (http://www.sitabus.it/sita-toscana/Firenze-Siena2010.pdf).
In Florence there are a lot of companies that organize tours and day trips to the Chianti area. You may contact one of them and ask for a tour including Siena, San Gimignano and Val d'Orcia.
Enjoy your holiday!

Thank You for your reply.

So you suggest we stay at Florence. And go for a day at Lucca & Pisa. A day in Siena and stop at San Gimignano. Another one at Val d'Orcia. Were can we go to a thermal bath?

We are going to rent a car.

thermal baths in Val d'Orcia

For four days I'd suggest either using Florence as your base or dividing it into two 2 day stays, maybe in Florence for the first two and in Siena or slightly to the south in the Val d'Orcia for the other two days - you have to drive less from Florence to these further down and so save on driving times. Then head back to Bologna taking the A1 (which takes you through the mountains) on your last day.

Since you have a car, you can do Florence one day, Pisa and Lucca the next, Chianti, San Gimignano and Siena on the third day, the Val d'Orcia on the fourth. This last is perfect for thermal baths: you can either go to San Filippo Thermal spa area or to Bagno Vignoni (both south of San Quirico d'Orcia) and both with outdoor springs (free) as well as spa/resorts (paying)... well, the outdoor spring at Bagno Vignoni has been quite reduced to trickles along a stream. There is also Chianticiano Terme to the south of Montepulciano although I believe this has all been transformed into spas/hotels. Lots of choices overall! :)

Congrats on the upcoming wedding and honeymoon! :)

Lucca is one of my favourite places in Italy but 4 days is probably too long so i would say 2 nights in Lucca and then two nights Sienna probably enough time to see both cities and without a car Tuscany is not the most accesible place.

Thanks a lot,
Abelard