Trip to Tuscany in two weeks

sghataurah

Hi there,

My wife and I are flying in to Pisa at 9:30pm on the 14th of August this year and want to tour Tuscany. Our plan is to fly out from Florence to Barcelona on the 18th at 10:30pm.

We want to experience Tuscany so any advise would be really appreciated. We haven't booked hotels yet either as we are looking for ideas first.

Thank you kindly,
Sunny

Pisa, Florence and Siena in 4 days

Ciao Sunny!

4 days isn't a lot of time - the most important thing to know is whether you plan on renting a car to drive around or not, since it will make a difference in what you can see and do.

Let's assume you don't rent a car at all.....
Since you arrive in Pisa at 9.30pm, I'd recommend you spend your first night there and then spend the next morning exploring the Piazza dei Miracoli and even climbing up the Leaning Tower of Pisa - it is an incredible, unique experience! (you can buy tickets ahead of time here)

Then you can take the train from Pisa to Florence (takes 1 hour) and use Florence as your base for the next 3 nights. We really recommend spending at least 2 full days in Florence to see all of the main sights - you can see what they are by reading this itinerary.

Then spend the other day in Siena.... here is an outline of what I'm suggesting:

14th evening - arrive in Pisa, sleep there - check this category to book hotels in Pisa for your first night: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/pisa-accommodation/
15th - see Pisa, then move on to Florence in afternoon - use as your base for next 3 nights
Recommend you stay in the historical center so that you are near all of the sights - see this page for ideas of where to stay and to book: http://www.florenceaccommodation.com/florence-historical-center/
16th - spend the day seeing Florence
17th - Siena - take SITA bus to Siena from Florence - we highly recommend buying the Siena SI Pass and go into the duomo, the baptistery, crypt and opera museum from which you can enjoy a stupendous view of Siena. Of course, visit the Piazza del Campo, if you have time, climb up the tower del Mangia over the city hall to look down on the Piazza del Campo - great great views! Here is an itinerary with a few more ideas of what to see and do.
18th - Florence - see more of Florence, already be in town to leave this evening.

Sorry it took me a few days to post, I was already writing my reply last night but it was too late! :) Hope you have a great time in Tuscany and if you need more specific suggestions for where to stay, let me know!

Hi Lourdes,

you are too kind. Thanks for this. I noticed in my research that the 15th of August is a national holiday in Italy. Will the tower at Pisa be open that day? I also noticed that we cannot buy tickets for that date as the earliest date is 24th so guess we will try our luck on site.

A question if you dont mind; what about Lucca? Is it worth doing before we arrive in Florence? It will be closer to Pisa.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Sunny

Tower of Pisa is open on August 15

Ciao again! Yes, the tower should be open on the 15th of August - from June through August it is open from 8.30am to 10.30pm so given the extended hours, you definitely might not have problems going and buying tickets on site. Make sure it is the first thing you do once you get to the Square of Miracles, that way if you get a time to climb up a half hour or hour later, you can enjoy the rest of the square in the meantime.
I really enjoyed the Camposanto (cemetery) - there are extraordinarily beautiful frescoes saved from WWII bombings there that are incredible to look at so I suggest getting one of those tickets that lets you in into the various monuments in the square.

Lucca is definitely doable and if you want to include it, I'd head there from Pisa since it is just 20 minutes away by train and spend the rest of the day and night there, heading to Florence the following day. Then you can spend the rest of the day in Florence, the evenings and your last day exploring the various parts of the city. You'll see time will fly but I hope you enjoy every minute of your trip! :)