Two Days in Tuscany but where?

Anai_0611

Hello everyone.... My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Rome in November and thought we would take two days and visit Tuscany. We know we will not be able to do much in two days but it's what we have available based on the rest of our trip. When researching, I found there are several interesting places within Tuscany. That has made our decision even more difficult as to where to go, where to stay. We definitely want to visit a winery and do some wine tasting. Which of the areas would be better for that? Also we truly enjoy getting in touch with the locals and not necessarily being so much part of the touristy stuff. Would really enjoy the countryside part of Tuscany but I am not sure what area would give us more of that. We intend to rent a car so we can move around to and from Rome and within Tuscany. Is this a good idea or should we rely on public transportation? We are so excited but are so lost. We are both in our 40's and truly enjoy nice wine, good food in a peaceful romantic place.... any suggestions? I appreciate all your help! Thank you.

Hi Anai,
If you aren't interested in visiting Florence which is normally considered the first destination in Tuscany and you prefer enjoying wine tastings and countryside, I can suggest you the area of Chianti.
You have probably already heard about it because Chianti is also the name of the wine which is produced in this area. The countryside is beautiful, you will only see green hills covered by vineyards and olive trees. Here you will also find all the wineries you desire, the place is plenty of farmhouses or cellars in which to enjoy an excellent Tuscan Chianti Wine accompanied by delicious local specialities.
Since you are going to spend here just 2 days, I would suggest you not to move to really enjoy the area. You won't have enough time to visit another city or place in Tuscany.
Car represents the best way to move around the region, especially because you can enjoy the landscapes, the streets, the hills of Tuscany just looking out your window!
Here you find an article dedicated to wine tastings in Chianti, you have just to choose one...or two! ;)

http://www.chianti.com/wine/chianti-winetasting.html

Here some accommodations in Chianti: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/chianti-accommodation/

Enjoy your journey, feel free to ask me anything else!

Sara

Hello Sara:
Thank you so much for your response and the links you sent me. I will look through them and at least feel I have a little more of an idea now. Is there any one are in Chianti that has more wineries and vineyards than others? Also, I agree with you about staying around to really enjoy the place since our time is limited but after I posted yesterday I read on some of the thermal baths. Is the area that has the thermal baths far or would you say it is something we could possibly drive to without jeopordizing too much time? I appreciate your help and suggestions.

Anai

thermal baths in Tuscany

You are welcome! :eek:

You might find more wineries in Greve in Chianti, but I can assure, you will find them everywhere!

Thermal baths:
The main and beautiful thermal baths are south of Siena, not really close to Chianti!
Since you are coming from Rome you will find some of them on your way to Chianti, you can stop there before reaching the area.

The main thermal baths are: Terme di Bagni San Filippo, Terme di Saturnia , Terme di Petriolo, Terme Bagno Vignoni (I have been there, you can also bath for free), Terme di Rapolano.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what you'll find! :)

Sara