Free time Tuscany YIPPEE and YIKES overwhelmed ! help tweak itinerary please

southerner

I am going to Florence in September.
day 1. after arrival on train at 3 pm afternoon/night free someone mentioned a restaurant Il Latini for one of the nights-??
Day 2 prescheduled tour guide half day walking tour to Acccademia, which may include piazza della signoria, palazza vecchio, piazza del dumo, baptistery, and point vecchcio - this tour is 4 hours.
Day 2 afternoon/night free.
Day 3 I am picking up a car 9 am. We have Day 3 to explore, wine, etc and staying in Pievescola that night and next
Day 4 and night I have free
Day 5 I return car 2 pm in Florence. time for something this A.M. on the way back to Florence??
I've printed the thread "Wineries by ourselves with a rented car" and "two days in Tuscany but where" but I would really appreciate help filling the holes in my itinerary. We are "foodies" and enjoy great food but also really like local places and "holes in the wall" as long as they are not too unsanitary haha It's two of us and we are active 40 year olds and are very eager to explore. HELP!!!!

5 days in Tuscany between Florence and Chianti

Ciao and welcome to our forum!

Il Latini is a very good restaurant for your first night. It is located in the historical center, so after dinner you might also have a beautiful walk in Florence by night.
If you have time before the dinner you may visit the Piazzale Michelangelo (an unmissable sight!) and the San Miniato Church.
If you love walking you can cover the distance Piazzale-Il Latini by foot.

On your second day at night you might try something different, such as an aperitif. If you like the idea, read this article here.
If you have spare time during the day and love art and architecture you might visit one of the beautiful churches of Florence (read more here) or take the bus from the city center and reach Fiesole.

Relating Chianti, I suggest you to also read these useful articles in the Chianti.com travel guide. Let me know if you have specific questions about it.

For your 4th day and for the way back to Florence I think you can consider to visit Siena (a bit out of the route, but stunning) or San Gimignano or Colle Val d'Elsa, for example.

Let me know what do you think! :)

Ok so I'm thinking about where to stop btwn Florence and San G. - any suggestions - Greve maybe or elsewhere? San G that afternoon . Then Siena the next day. If I have time to go to another town close to Siena - where would you suggest? On the last day on the way back to Florence from pievescola I will have a few hours for an early lunch or breakfast suggestions on what town to hit ?

Siena, monteriggioni, San Galgano

I agree with the suggestion to make your way to Siena, if you don't see it on your 4th day. Also Castellina in Chianti, Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa and San Galgano are some more options. As you make your way around Chianti, stop in the small villages and walk around - Panzano, Radda, Greve... You'll see a lot of Chianti as you explore and do tastings.
for lunch on the way back to Florence, you could stop in San Donato in Poggio (off the Firenze-Siena road) or o
in Panzano.

Re: Siena, monteriggioni, San Galgano

Is there more than one Panzano in Italy? One in Chianti and one by Modena? If so how do you keep them separate.

also btwn Moltepulciano (sp?) and Moltecino - do you like one better than another? Moltepulciano is seems close to a highway that wuold get me back to Florence in order to return my c ar and get on a trains so it may be a good last day place too. How long does it take to get to Florence from MOltepulciano

Panzano in Chianti, Montepulciano to Florence

The one in Modena is just called Panzano, while the on in Tuscany is always called Panzano in Chianti.

Montalcino and Montepulciano are about 37km from each other, about a 40 min drive. So if you want to stay closer to the A1 to return quicker to Florence, Montepulciano would definitely be better. The distance between Montepulciano and Florence is 115km, which is about 1.5 hr drive on the A1.