parking in florence

pauli

In March I will stay at a small hotel on via Curtatone/Montebello and planning to rent a car as I will arrive Italy through Pisa airport. Is there a free parking for 4-5 days in Florence ? I understood that there are two: InCoop parking and Michelangello Piazzeta somehow close to my hotel (abt 2km each) is it ok/safe if I leave the car there for the period?

a car is not necessary to visit Florence... so rent it later?

Ciao Pauli,

I take it you've already seen the map with the parking lots in Florence found here:
http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-maps/parking-lots-in-florence.html

While both the InCoop parking and the one at Piazzale Michelangelo are free, the first is for a private supermarket and the gates get closed when the super market closes so that is out. I think it might get towed if left overnight. The one at the Piazzale on the other hand has limited time on the parking spaces.... I think a car staying overnight would be noticed, fined or towed.... (but I will have to find out about this for sure). A safer bet would be to use one of the parking lots listed on that page above or go with a private garage near your hotel, especially if you're planning to use the car during those 5 days.

I have another suggestion: if you're planning to arrive in Pisa and right away coming to Florence for 4-5 days, don't get the car rental in Pisa - catch the train from the Pisa airport into Florence's SMN train station. Your hotel is less than 15min from the train station. You'll just be paying daily for a car you don't need at all in Florence... Right in the same area where you're staying in Florence are many of the car rental agencies, you can rent a car from there once you need it.
If you're planning to visit other part of Tuscany, try to do them before Florence or after it, so that you only have it when you really need it.

Re: a car is not necessary to visit Florence... so rent it later?

Ciao Pauli,

I take it you've already seen the map with the parking lots in Florence found here:
http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-maps/parking-lots-in-florence.html

While both the InCoop parking and the one at Piazzale Michelangelo are free, the first is for a private supermarket and the gates get closed when the super market closes so that is out. I think it might get towed if left overnight. The one at the Piazzale on the other hand has limited time on the parking spaces.... I think a car staying overnight would be noticed, fined or towed.... (but I will have to find out about this for sure). A safer bet would be to use one of the parking lots listed on that page above or go with a private garage near your hotel, especially if you're planning to use the car during those 5 days.

I have another suggestion: if you're planning to arrive in Pisa and right away coming to Florence for 4-5 days, don't get the car rental in Pisa - catch the train from the Pisa airport into Florence's SMN train station. Your hotel is less than 15min from the train station. You'll just be paying daily for a car you don't need at all in Florence... Right in the same area where you're staying in Florence are many of the car rental agencies, you can rent a car from there once you need it.
If you're planning to visit other part of Tuscany, try to do them before Florence or after it, so that you only have it when you really need it.

Many thanks for your prompt reply Lourdes, I choose a free parking for my stay as it appears that 18-20 euro/day for parking costs more than renting a small car for the period, however I appreciated your remark that those two parking lots are closed at night therefore are not an option. Indeed my plan was for two days in Florence and another 2 1/2 for the rest, Siena, etc so I may rent for 1-2 days instead for the whole period. Cheers

car rental

Yes, neither parking nor the rental are cheap so I generally recommend to avoid having a car in Florence since you won't need it but are paying for it regardless.... renting the car only for your day trips is definitely a better solution, particularly for your budget... permits more shopping, more wine, more delicious sit down meals :)

Lourdes, what about the free parkings at Firenze Galluzzo or Firenze Certosa or Firenze Scandicci (in front of the large supermarket as I can see on the Google map)? Are they ok for ovenight parkings? tkanks a lot

Last edited:
night parking

I believe the parking at Galluzzo is, but not sure if there is a day per week when the streets are cleaned and that might mean you have to move the car that night. There are posted signs at the lots that will indicate if there is and when.
The Certosa parking lot (the exit is now called Firenze Impruneta) is right off the highway, right after the toll booths... there is a lot of continuous traffic around here but not that much foot traffic. I'd be weary myself of leaving a car parked there for days, a night might be fine but I wouldn't risk calling attention to it by leaving it overnight.

How about contacting your hotel and asking them whether they have a private agreement with a nearby garage for their guests? You might be able to park the car at a lower daily cost.

Hello Lourdes

Can you let me know the best way to travel to a car park in Florence, outside the zone and easy to find/access. I will be driving from Sant'Andrea/San Gimignano (I am a foreign driver, from Australia, but I have been here travelling on the roads of Italy since the beginning of the month). At times it has been stressful but I would like your honest opinion as to whether I should drive into Florence and park on the outside of the city and catch a tram/bus in or just catch a train from Poggibonsi station.

Vicky

Last edited:
Galluzzo parking or bus from Poggibonsi are both options

ciao Vicky,

It does take a little bit of adjusting to drive in Florence, it takes time even once you arrive in the outskirts to drive further in and get closer without even being near the "limited traffic area" but f you're weary, you can park and catch a bus into downtown.

Coming from Poggibonsi, you should leave the car in Galluzzo. Take a look at this map and from there catch the bus (it is the second green P from the bottom up) to downtown Florence.

If you want to take a break from driving, another option that would take you directly downtown into the historical center would be catch the bus from Poggibonsi and not take the train since train requires a chance in Empoli.
Just follow the indications found on this page which talks about getting to and from San Gimignano from Florence by bus.

This pdf has the bus schedules that stop in Poggibonsi, either on the way to Siena or back or to San Gimignano. Think you'll find it useful beyond just coming to Florence!

I am sure you'll do fine if you're already driving in Italy but a day off from driving could also be nice :)