Sienna and Chianti from Florence

Karen

I will be arriving in Florence with my husband the first week in April. My sister and brother-in-law arrive on a Saturday morning. They will spend the day in Florence. We would like to get a driver to take us to Sienna. is it possible to stop in Chianti along the way? Is it best to spend the night in Sienna or return to Florence? If Chianti and Sienna are too much to do, is it better to take a train to Sienna? If yes, should we book in advance?

Siena or Chianti - take two days to see them both!

I think I've gone and answered some of these questions on your other thread so check that out first:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/foru...44-how-much-can-we-see-one-week.html#post4308

I might have forgotten to say that the best way to get to Siena is by bus rather than by train... unless you hire a car with driver. If you want to ask the driver to stop in Chianti, I am sure they will do it but then consider you won't have that much time and might feel to be in a hurry... one stop is doable, but not many. I assure you it is better to take it slower and maybe see a few things less but see them well rather than just stop, get out, take a picture and then say you were there. You end up not remembering much that way or even realizing whether you liked something or not.

Better idea would be to take two days.... stay overnight in Siena and then on the return to Florence the next day do several stops along the way in the hilltop towns in Chianti (Castellina, Radda, Panzano). Cost will depend on the driver, I'm sorry I don't know anyone to recommend.

Hi Karen. The driver is a good idea but if possible get one who also is a guide: there are some lovely parts to Tuscany between Florence and Siena, but also some that are less than lovely. Drivers can be really quite expensive, one option would be to join a semi-private tour and ask to be dropped in Siena at the end. Slow Days from Florence do this sort of thing but there may also be others - you only have to ask.
To put things in perspective, a private driver in Tuscany can cost 400-500 Euros for the day, whereas the small group tours cost around 120-130 per person and usually include lunch, wine tastings etc.