Itinerary for 7-8 days in Italy

justjenn1112

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy next June and are unsure how much time to spend in the different areas. Obviously we should see Rome and we would like some time in Tuscany. And if possible, Venice. I know it isn't much time so what do you think is the best way to plan the itinerary with the "must-see items"?

Or should I just spend a week in Tuscany and possibly Cinque Terre?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... there is so much information out there that I don't know where to start.

Thanks,

Jenn

Last edited:
Ciao Jenn,

Will this be your first trip to Italy? 7-8 days are just enough to see a few of the places you mention, it all depends on what you'd prefer to do.

For example, if this is your first time in Italy and you want to see the main highlights, I'd probably do 2-3 days in Rome, 3 days in Florence (with a day trip out to Chianti) and 2 days in Venice. You get to see the main cities and all offer a different view of Italy.

If instead you want a more relaxing vacation, you can spend the week in the Tuscan countryside with day trips around the region and into Florence. A day trip to Cinque Terre if you want (it isn't in Tuscany anymore so it is further away, can take up to 2 hours to get there).
If you want to see the sea and coast, I'd go to Monte Argentario/Maremma area in southern Tuscany instead. It offers a different landscape than Cinque Terre (that is mountains dropping into the sea, villages hanging on to the cliffs) as opposed to flat sandy beach in Maremma. From Santo Stefano, a trip to Giglio Island in the Tuscan archipelago is a must.

Let us know if you want some further ideas!!