Hot Springs? Wine Tasting? Everything else! Help.

Stephshea

My mother, sister & I will be in Italy next month (April) and I'm in need of help with our itinerary. We arrive in Rome and plan on being there for 3 nights, then....this is where I need help! We will be there April 9th-April 22nd (my bday is the 12th). On our wish list is visiting the hot springs and wine tasting and anything else that the beautiful region has to offer!

Also want to spend time in Florence and either Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast. We will be flying out of Rome as well.

Desperate for suggestions!

Thank you!

Stephanie

recommend the Valdorcia!

Ciao Stephanie,

Sounds like you have a great vacation coming up!

Since you have about 2 weeks overall, I would suggest looking into renting an apartment in either a villa or farmhouse, renting a car and using that as your base to move around the region. It will get you to the vineyards/wineries and to the hot springs when you want to without being tied to a bus/train schedule.

Chianti and the Val d'Orcia area south of Siena would be great bases.

My first pick would be to stay in the area around Montepulciano.... there are several hot springs in the area (san Filippo, Chianciano Terme, Bagno Vignoni) as well as wine territory with lots of wineries offering tastings and tours.

Another possibility is staying closer to Montalcino - wine, with springs at Bagno Vignoni still being close and the Petriolo springs to the west being another possibility.

Lots of villages in the area to visit and discover, including Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico, Montalcino, Buonconvento.... Arezzo, Cortona, Castiglion Fiorentino. Lots to see... and lots of good food to eat as well :)

If you're heading up to Florence after, then I highly recommend you choose Cinque Terre as it is just 2 hours from Florence while Amalfi is back down several hours south of Rome (3 hours by car).

Depending on where you end up staying, you might find some offer cooking classes which you might enjoy.... just as a suggestion, take a look at these:
Agriturismo Casa Baccano
San Giovanni in Poggio
Podere Cunina

More ideas here: Accommodation in Valdorcia

Let me know if you need more ideas! :D