Bugs in June ?

Paul palace

I will be visiting Tuscany in the middle of June.
I have heard the bugs can be terrible, is it essential
to have a place with screens, and an air conditioner?

Ciao Paul,
I think it really depends in which part of Tuscany you are going, expecially how high it is on the sea level.

Usually June in Tuscany is not too hot, the hottest months are july and august. On the hills above 400-500 metres on sea level you don't need air conditioning and there are not many mosquitoes/bugs. However, I think screens at the windows are always good, at least you can leave the windows open and get some air without a single mosquito getting in.

If you are staying in cities, or anyway not that high, at least a fan if not air conditioning would be good. On lower levels (below 400 meters) unfurtunately there are now african mosquitoes that have spread in all of Italy so screens might be good. But it really depends on where you are going: in some places you don't have many mosquitoes, in some other they can be really annoying.

Thank you Stefano, i am looking at staying in the chianti region.
Ciao Paul,
I think it really depends in which part of Tuscany you are going, expecially how high it is on the sea level.

Usually June in Tuscany is not too hot, the hottest months are july and august. On the hills above 400-500 metres on sea level you don't need air conditioning and there are not many mosquitoes/bugs. However, I think screens at the windows are always good, at least you can leave the windows open and get some air without a single mosquito getting in.

If you are staying in cities, or anyway not that high, at least a fan if not air conditioning would be good. On lower levels (below 400 meters) unfurtunately there are now african mosquitoes that have spread in all of Italy so screens might be good. But it really depends on where you are going: in some places you don't have many mosquitoes, in some other they can be really annoying.

Ciao!

As Stefano said, June is generally warm but not yet really hot - but tolerance or less of heat generally depends on where you're from! ;)

I haven't heard of lots of mosquitoes in Chianti but just to make sure, you could ask when you contact villas/farmhouses for your stay whether they tend to have lots of bugs/mosquitoes and whether they will have screens on the windows. Those that do generally already are equipped with them, and those that don't have them means they don't need them... believe me, it would be one of the biggest complaints they would get from guests and they don't want bad word of mouth on the net these days.

As for A/C, it generally it is not needed outside of Florence but many have installed them over the last few years to accommodate requests by guests.