Tuscany for a month

doodles4465

My wife and I along with 2 other couples will be spending a month (September 2013) in Tuscany ( near arrezzo ). Any general suggestions as to how best to spend our time - besides eating and drinking:)? We wil have a van for transportation. What should we NOT miss and what should we avoid! We are wide open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.
Doodles4465

Dont miss out the Piazza Grande while your at Arezzo. Its one of the most beautiful places in Tuscany.

lots to see in Tuscany in one month

Wow Doodles, a whole month sounds awesome! I think you'll find it difficult to miss something in a month - but one very important question: are you planning to stay in the same place the entire time or move around? Because I think for a whole month, I'd suggest staying in a different area each week and exploring the area right around each place without too much driving. In a month, you could see most of Tuscany but if you're using just one base, that will mean a lot of driving.

For example:
week 1 - near Arezzo - see Arezzo, Cortona, Sansepolcro, Anghiari, Castiglion Fiorentino, Montepulciano, Asciano, Pienza, San Quirico, Montalcino.... just to name some of the towns you can visit in the area.

week 2 - area between Florence and Siena = CHIANTI. Explore the countryside and all of the hilltop towns, incluiding day trips to Florence and Siena. Plus San Gimignano, Castellina in Chianti, Radda, Panzano, Greve, San Donato, Certaldo, Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa, Volterra.

week 3 - Pisa/Lucca area - explore the coast around Viareggio called Versilia and visit the castles from Massa to Pontremoli. Explore the outdoors hiking around the Apuan Alps...also a day or two on the sandy beaches. Of course, explore Pisa and Lucca too!

week 4 - Elba/Piombino/Maremma - you could spend a few days on Elba and if you choose to do this, maybe I'd do this on week 1 or 2 when weather is still sunnier. Explore the villages along the Etruscan coast including the wine region of Bolgheri. Lots of great beaches and more!

All of the areas above have their wine regions to explore... including wineries and "wine roads" ;-)

My wife and I along with 2 other couples will be spending a month (September 2013) in Tuscany ( near arrezzo ). Any general suggestions as to how best to spend our time - besides eating and drinking:)? We wil have a van for transportation. What should we NOT miss and what should we avoid! We are wide open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.
Doodles4465

San Gimignano and Montecatini Terme, known for its thermal waters, is one of Italy's top spa towns. San Gimignano known as the City of Beautiful Towers, is a classic medieval walled hill town in Tuscany.It is famous for its 14 surviving medieval towers creating a beautiful skyline visible from the surrounding countryside.