Help with base location and accomadations

Mike

My wife and I are planning to be in Tuscany for 7 days starting October 1. We will be coming from Rome and will be departing to Venice from Tuscany. Our thought is to take the train from Rome to Florence and spend two nights in Florence, then rent a car and find a relaxing home base in Tuscany for 5 nights that we can use to explore the Tuscany area, including Siena. Would appreciate any advice on improving the proposed agenda, where to locate the home base in Tuscany, and recommendations on upscale accomadations for Florence and the home base in Tuscany. In particular, a hotel advertised on this web site, Villa il Poggiale, looks interesting?

Many thanks for any advice.

Ciao Mike,

Sounds like you've already gotten a good base for your itinerary set up. Definitely agree with staying in Florence at first, then heading to the countryside with a rental car to explore Tuscany before returning it and taking train to Venice.

In Florence - for upscale accommodations, I'd start with Hotel Principe or Casa del Garbo.
If you want something smaller like a B&B, I'd recommend Le Stanze di Santa Croce and the Casa dei Tintori to start off.... then I'd also look into the "Florentine historical residences" group of B&Bs.
http://www.florenceaccommodation.com/antica-dimora-firenze.html
http://www.florenceaccommodation.com/antica-dimora-johlea.html
If you want a luxurious apartment, look at this one on Via Tornabuoni.

As for your base in Tuscany, Villa il Poggiale would be a great choice. It's a beautiful villa and surrounded by lovely olive groves and vineyards while being just outside San Casciano which also makes it easy to get to the Firenze-Siena road and get around Tuscany for day trips. The hotel offers a variety of services, including restaurant and spa so it would be a great place for your trip.

Another alternative would be the B&B Palazzo Malaspina which is smaller and offers a different type of experience... it is in a small medieval hilltop village, also great for day trips but no pool, spa or restaurant on premises. So both would be great, just the experience would be completely different.