Swimming in late September

Omn2103

I will be traveling September 24th with my husband and child. Is it possible to find a sandy beach for a day or two for swimming, or will the weather be too cold? If it is possible, can you recommend one within driving distance from Florence or Tuscany?
Please and thank you. I love reading this forum, wealth of information!
Olivia

Ciao Olivia!
Good morning from Florence! I am currently at the seaside with my husband and daughter Livia (3y). September is still a very enjoyable month but less crowded than July-August. Usually the late summer days are less hot and you can enjoy the seaside with your family.
Spots like Viareggio/Forte dei Marmi are very well organized, there is a long promenade parallel to the sea and you can both enjoy the sea and some shopping/walking in the evening. You can reach these spots easily by train if you do not want to rent a car. The towns offer lots of accommodations both in b&Bs or elegant hotels.

You may instead choose Marina di Vecchiano if you love wilder nature: the long sandy beach is separated from the road (it ends straight at the beach and does not go any farther) by lovely gentle sandy dunes, in the distance you see the Carrara quarries. The beach is equipped with umbrellas and good restaurants but you cannot stay there overnight directly at the seaside. You should move to Marina di Pisa or Pisa back (it is only 15 minutes by car). For Marina di Vecchiano it takes only 1h and 15minutes from Florence (only highway, easy ride), you may decide to go for the day and be back to Florence in the evening.

Wishing you a nice day!
A presto :)
Elena

Yep, as Elena has already said and suggested - September is a great month as there are less crowds, weather generally is still great although the water might start getting a little less hot, it still should be fine.

And as she suggested, the easiest area to get to is due west from Florence and Pisa. Either Marina di Pisa or Viareggio - that entire area is sandy beaches, Marina di Pisa you get to with car or bus ride from Pisa and Viareggio is easier to get to by train.

Grazie! Thank you so much. We love the water and don't mind if it's a little cooler than the summer months!

Yep, as Elena has already said and suggested - September is a great month as there are less crowds, weather generally is still great although the water might start getting a little less hot, it still should be fine.

And as she suggested, the easiest area to get to is due west from Florence and Pisa. Either Marina di Pisa or Viareggio - that entire area is sandy beaches, Marina di Pisa you get to with car or bus ride from Pisa and Viareggio is easier to get to by train.