10 days in Tuscany

Ireland

Hi!

I'm looking for a sample itinerary for our holiday coming up in four weeks time. We are staying just outside Florence so that will be our base for the duration of our stay. We are flying into Pisa so thinking of getting the train to Florence, spending a few days exploring Florence and then hire a car and travel around - any suggestions and tips on where to go, restaurant recommendations, car hire tips etc? Thanks! :cool:

Do you already have accommodation??
If so, then your itinerary should be planned around it for sure.

If not, then start with a general itinerary and decide where to stay.
Start from here: Tuscany in 7 Days

The Chianti area between Florence and Siena is always a good central location to base yourselves in, but also the area to the south of Siena is good if you're going to fit in several days in that area.

For a few more days, in addition to the places already on that 7 days in Tuscany intinerary, I'd add Volterra, San Galgano, Certaldo, a whole day dedicated to Chianti and not shared with San Gimignano, maybe two days in Val d'Orcia. So there are lots of places to see, you'll see the days will seem limited ;-).

For car rental, start with this article on general tips and more: car rental and driving in Tuscany.

Thanks for your reply Lourdes! I'll check that out. Yes we already have accomodation - on the outskirts of Florence. In hindsight we should have maybe booked accomodation in a few different places to make it easier to move around. So we will need to plan it in such a way that we can easily drive back to Florence each evening/night. We were thinking of spending two or three days when we first arrive exploring Florence and then hiring a car and spending one day in Sienna, one day in San Gimignano, one day in Lucca, one day in Arezzo/Cortona and one day in the Chianti region and then spend the last two days back in Florence and see Pisa on the day we leave (as that's where we are flying out of). Would I be right in saying that most of these places are between 1.5-2.5 hours of a drive away? We are going to rent the car from the airport so as not to get caught going into the dreaded ZTL zones!

You'll be fine then... staying just outside of Florence is still very manageable for day trips back and forth. Cortona and the Val d'Orcia are the furthest and definitely less than 1.5-2 hours away so you'll be fine!!

You can rent out of the center of Florence as long as you follow the paths they tell you to get out of there and then back to them... but yes, renting from the airport is definitely much safer :)