Siena Cathedral - Exposed Floor

Linda Reandeau

Hi, I am looking for more information on the exposed floor and seeing that while we are in Sienna in October. This appears to be a "big deal" and it sounds beautiful and something our group is interested in. I was a little confused from the info on the site regarding tickets and a tour, so my question is, do we need to buy tickets ahead of time, do we buy tickets just to see the floor, or do we need to buy tickets for an actual tour? Thank you!

Ciao Linda,

It's a big deal because the entire floor of the Siena cathedral is covered with beautiful scenes of various types in inlaid stones - and throughout the year, most of them are cordoned off so still visible. But the really beautiful and larger ones are under the main part of the church, under the dome and right in front of the altar, and those are actually covered to protect them as there are benches on top for services and people walk all over that area.

Only for about 2 months during the entire year is that area uncovered so that everyone can see them. They arrange special corridors where people can walk on so as to still keep them protected.

So if you're in Siena while all of it is still "exposed", it is a must see! You can read details on our blog post here.

How many in your group? The confusion is probably with the other tour also currently on offer at the cathedral, which is to access areas normally off limits to visitors and be able to see the cathedral from above. The other tour does require reservations - you can read about it here and see a video here of the areas you access.

If you're just interested in the pavement, there is no need to book tickets ahead of time - I recommend you get the OpaSi PASS since it will also give you access to the other monuments connected to the cathedral - baptistery, crypt, museum - but if you want to do the "Door to Heaven" tour, definitely book ahead of time. The posts have info on how to do that. Both will be available until October 27.

Grazie Lourdes

Lourdes, appreciate the information! After I submitted the post I found the blog article, so the tour and ticketing was better explained than what I had previously seen. I will speak to my travelling companions to see if they want to do the tour and we will book accordingly. Love your forum, lots of great information!

Linda